Baby chick chirping at nothing?

Angie09

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2022
My two days old baby chick has been chirping a lot, but only when there's no one around. He chirps loudly when I'm not near him, but immediately stops when I'm near. I don't know what he needs. He is warm enough and I fed him. What should I do?

Sounds likes he’s imprinted on you, essentially they think that you’re their mama and will now get really upset when you aren’t with them.

Sounds likes he’s imprinted on you, essentially they think that you’re their mama and will now get really upset when you aren’t with them.
Do you have any idea how to stop this? I love him but I need my sleep and I have to get up early tmrw too. It's gotten to the point where he starts chirping as soon as I leave. Do you think just letting and ignoring him will help? 🥲😥

Give him a stuffed toy to cuddle or a mirror. Chickens are flock animals, they need other chickens. Is it cold?
The other chicks are still hatching, he's the first one. I don't think he's
cold though. I don't have a stuffed animal to hand to him at this second and his chirps are really stressing me out 😭

The only way I know of on how to get them to de imprint on you is to essentially not really interact with them unless necessary, but then again I am still learning the trade of chicken keeping. Honestly, I’m sorry but she’ll probably be chirping for a while until they get some siblings, they don’t like being alone. If you can, just put some earbuds in and ignore him, he’ll fall asleep eventually. But like they said, if you got a small mirror or stuffie that you can put in there, do it, they require company.

The only things you can do have been mentioned, the mirror and stuffed animal and keeping your contact to a minimum. Do you have light on for it at night, if so turn it off when you go to bed, it will settle it down quicker. Reduce your contact as much as possible and put some mates in as soon as possible.

Once they have imprinted on you it is very difficult to reverse.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom