Baby Chick deformities

I only thought about culling this one because this is my 1st time owning chicks. Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm trying to save the culling option for last after I've tried all the home remedies I've found. I think she's doing fine except for agressive chicks pecking at her foot. Otherwise I think she may be a little malnourished as she's one of the smaller chicks.
In that case, you might try separating that chick and putting her with a couple of the less aggressive chicks. You can set up a partition in your brooder or just keep them in a separate location altogether. That way, she will be able to get enough food/water.

@wyorp

I did read somewhere that her "good" leg would or could no longer be able to support her. However, she's not going to be for consumption as we mainly got them for egg production. does this still apply to a layer? I only ask because I see a lot of cornish cross or cornish breeds get leg problems because they are so overweight from overeating.

How would I go about euthanizing it? Do I take it to a vet? I've been trying to nurse it back to health so I don't know if I've been doing it a disfavor.

I also noticed some kind of crusty substance on the affected hock. Maybe it's an infection? It looks like dried pus which I tried to wash off but it was stuck on there.
A good quality photo of the affected joint and the crusty area may be helpful.
If it's crust and oozing from infection, then it would need to be addressed.

Leg deformities can happen with any breed of chicken, not just broilers. It's one of those "time will tell" type of things as to whether she can learn to move about on her own and support her weight. Some do o.k. while others don't. She will do better if she's given assistance and daily care making sure she's eating well and drinking.

To cull or not is solely your decision. All of us have different goals, ideas and purposes for keeping chickens.

If you determine that you need to cull her, there are a few ways to cull a tiny chick. For me, up to around 3-4 weeks old, using shears to decapitate is the easiest, quickest and most efficient way. This article gives you info, but it's not graphic and tastefully done. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-for-squeamish-people-slightly-graphic.74734/

A good quality photo of the affected joint and the crusty area may be helpful.
If it's crust and oozing from infection, then it would need to be addressed.

Leg deformities can happen with any breed of chicken, not just broilers. It's one of those "time will tell" type of things as to whether she can learn to move about on her own and support her weight. Some do o.k. while others don't. She will do better if she's given assistance and daily care making sure she's eating well and drinking.

To cull or not is solely your decision. All of us have different goals, ideas and purposes for keeping chickens.

If you determine that you need to cull her, there are a few ways to cull a tiny chick. For me, up to around 3-4 weeks old, using shears to decapitate is the easiest, quickest and most efficient way. This article gives you info, but it's not graphic and tastefully done. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-for-squeamish-people-slightly-graphic.74734/
I think all of you brought up great points but the reason why I brought up it was not a broiler was because my thoughts were that if it didn't get fat living with one leg should be fine. I don't think I'll kill this chick unless I can visibily tell it's dieing, otherwise I think I'll try and nurse it back to health. :) Thank you guys so much for the support and wisdom.

I think all of you brought up great points but the reason why I brought up it was not a broiler was because my thoughts were that if it didn't get fat living with one leg should be fine. I don't think I'll kill this chick unless I can visibily tell it's dieing, otherwise I think I'll try and nurse it back to health. :) Thank you guys so much for the support and wisdom.
If anyone else has any ideas on how to heal this chick please let me know, also I'll try to take a picture of the affected hock. Thanks again, Isaac H.

Back
Top Bottom