Baby chick desperately wants a mommy

Mamabrinkles

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
So I need some advice. We have 8 chicks, 6 being 3-4 weeks old and the two babies are a little more than a week. One of the babies, both Polish bantams, so desperately wants a mommy. She and the other baby have for a few days been in a separate brooder that is right next to the big girls brooder, but with a screen in between so they can see the other side. Tonight we finally mixed them all together and all is going well, except...Josefina, wants a mommy - soooo badly. Ever since we got her a week ago she cries out often for companionship

. She always wants to cuddle her cell mate, tries to get under her wing, etc. I am hoping one of the big girls will adopt her, but any advice if they don't? She is so stressed out about it :-(

I'm sure they will adopt her, but it won't hurt to put a feather duster in there. All chicks love to cuddle up to a feather duster! (and buy a cheap one because they will poop on it and you'll have to throw it away)

X2 on that wonderful advice. I've used a feather duster for my chicks and it's great! Just watch out for the poop as it sticks to the feathers and the chicks can get tangled up in it (mine did). Also don't put the duster too close to the heat lamp. You'd be amazed how much heat it soaks up and it can easily catch fire. Stick your hand under it now and then to check the temperature.

Back
Top Bottom