Baby chick falling over backwards

Sunshine0235

Songster
9 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Lebanon Ohio
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Salmon Faverolle Chick, couple hours old.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. It sits with its head pointing up at the sky, maybe even further back, and when it tries to walk it flips over backwards. It pipped in the wrong end of the egg, and started zipping, but I had to help it finish.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since it hatched.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Nope, other chicks are healthy.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Naval looks good, nothing I can see.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Might have been that it was in the wrong end of the egg or something.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Nope, still in the incubator.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. It pooped as soon as it got out, looked like the other chicks poop.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Tried sitting it back upright, but fall right back over onto its back.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? Just to get it to live, I can take on a disabled bird, if its permanent, but need help if its possible to save this chick.

It was zipping for about 12ish hours before it stopped and I helped. Its trying to move around and very loud, but it flipps over and gets stuck.

Is there any hope for this chick?

Foods rich in Vitamin B...

Fish

Eggs

Lots of cereals.chicken ( yes, really...)

Administration is easy...offer and stand well back...chickens normally need no encouragement to eat any of the above...

I had some success with fixing that by feeding the chick some poached yolk from my free-range birds (not from its caged up mother). The sooner you can get some vitamins into it, the better and yolk is loaded with all of the vitamins that a chick might need. My theory about wry neck in my caged or penned up purebreds is that their mothers don't get the right amount of certain nutrients like B's and vitaE and selenium. So when I see this condition in a chick, I put a little chunk of free-range yolk in its mouth and it seems to work about 60% of the time. I have since also put my breeders on a vitamin and mineral supplement.

Ok thanks, it seems to be doing a bit better, not flopping on its back anymore when I set it upright, but its still holding its head way up high. I will give it some egg yolk from my girls and see if that helps.

I don't really like the yolk part of hard boiled eggs anyways, I always feed that back to my chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom