Baby chick has fluid filled foot

mp5girl

Songster
7 Years
Aug 8, 2013
We are attempting to rehab 3 chicks with bad legs/feet. One in particular has what appears to be a fluid filled foot. It's like one big blister. Any one had this issue before?

We are attempting to rehab 3 chicks with bad legs/feet. One in particular has what appears to be a fluid filled foot. It's like one big blister. Any one had this issue before?
I don't know about chcks but if I saw this in a puppy I would go to Tractor Supply
and buy a syringe with a small needle. Then use it to remove the liquid.
Best,
Karen

Is it bumble foot? Can you get a picture, it would be best if others can help identify the problem so the correct course of action is taken.
In the mean time, you can soak the foot in a warm Epsom salts bath. Just don't let the chick get wet, and if it does, dry it off and get it under the heat lamp. A chilled chick is as food as gone.

Keep us posted, and hopefully you can get a picture.

I thought about draining it but then it'd have an access spot for more problems/bacteria and decided not to go there.

I've looked at bumble foot photos and it's nothing like it from what I can tell.

It's only three days old I think. It was walking on its elbow prior and I was going to wrap it but then noticed a blister in between two toes and then noticed it's also the whole underside. It's almost translucent with clear fluid. I left it unwrapped and will see if there's any improvement overnight. I'll get pics in the morning.

Not a great pic. I'll do better in the morning.

I have one with that same thing going on right now. Though mine is a little worse :( I am getting antibiotics in the morning to see if it helps. I hadn't thought of Epsom salt I may try that also. I have been giving her aspirin and electrolytes and putting a&d on it

Back
Top Bottom