Baby chick pecked by broody hen URGENT!

Pics

MCchickies

Chirping
May 27, 2022
I had my second chick hatch (from the incubator). My broody hen already has one chick that she hatched, so I was hoping she would take this chick…. Which she did right away, I’m glad I stuck around because shortly after she started to peck the chick which resulted in what looks like both her ears having wounds. I’ve cleaned the wounds and the chick seems bright, a little wobbly on her feet but she is just a day old. She’s peeping away. I have her set up in a box wrapped in a towel with my heating plate overtop to keep her warm. Does anyone have any advice what to do moving forward? Any good supplements I can order off Amazon for next day delivery? I’m located in Ontario. Any help would be so so soo appreciated!!

Attachments

• 0555A0EB-48DF-452F-A7B6-1A7CF845CBAF.jpeg
    0555A0EB-48DF-452F-A7B6-1A7CF845CBAF.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 170
  • A5309F80-5098-42D4-A69F-6E50D5C419A6.jpeg
    A5309F80-5098-42D4-A69F-6E50D5C419A6.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 54
If you cleaned the wound well you should be good my go-to is always save-a-chick electrolytes to put in their water you can get it at your feed store it always seems to perk them up. Keep her seperated until her wound isn't so bloody and clean it twice a day. Maybe try putting one other not aggressive chick with her so she wont get lonely.

If you cleaned the wound well you should be good my go-to is always save-a-chick electrolytes to put in their water you can get it at your feed store it always seems to perk them up. Keep her seperated until her wound isn't so bloody and clean it twice a day. Maybe try putting one other not aggressive chick with her so she wont get lonely.
That makes me feel a lot better! totally would but I only have the two chicks (one mama hatched and one that came from the incubator) I have more in the incubator that should hatch in the next couple days (they are a staggered hatch unfortunately) I’ll keep this chick inside with me until more chicks hatch

That doesnt look too bad, the chick should be ok as long as it doesn't have any brain damage.

You could just put polysporin on it to keep it from getting infected.
Yes overall she is behaving normal. It’s been about 1 hour since the incident the right side still has a slow bleed unfortunately. Applying gentle pressure with gauze.

I can’t get the save-a-chick for next day delivery. What are your thoughts on this product?

Attachments

• 90FEC711-5BAD-4D34-93C7-3647457AE685.png
    90FEC711-5BAD-4D34-93C7-3647457AE685.png
    909.9 KB · Views: 51
I agree with @MamaPoult. Don’t try to put that chick back with her. I think that your hen has made it clear… she doesn’t want another chick. Monitor the one that’s with her now as well. When you’re trying to introduce a chick that a hen didn’t hatch, you run a big risk that she won’t accept it. I’ve had success with it (a few of my Seramas are very accepting), and I’ve also tried and watched things go downhill fast (but was able to intervene and remove the chick before it was injured). It sounds like she’s made up her mind, that her one chick is all she wants. Brooding them yourself would be their safest option. The injuries don’t look too severe, so she’ll likely be fine. Very pretty teeny chick. ❤️

I had my second chick hatch (from the incubator). My broody hen already has one chick that she hatched, so I was hoping she would take this chick…. Which she did right away, I’m glad I stuck around because shortly after she started to peck the chick which resulted in what looks like both her ears having wounds. I’ve cleaned the wounds and the chick seems bright, a little wobbly on her feet but she is just a day old. She’s peeping away. I have her set up in a box wrapped in a towel with my heating plate overtop to keep her warm. Does anyone have any advice what to do moving forward? Any good supplements I can order off Amazon for next day delivery? I’m located in Ontario. Any help would be so so soo appreciated!!
Sorry about your chick. I hope she's better soon!

I agree with @MamaPoult. Don’t try to put that chick back with her. I think that your hen has made it clear… she doesn’t want another chick. Monitor the one that’s with her now as well. When you’re trying to introduce a chick that a hen didn’t hatch, you run a big risk that she won’t accept it. I’ve had success with it (a few of my Seramas are very accepting), and I’ve also tried and watched things go downhill fast (but was able to intervene and remove the chick before it was injured). It sounds like she’s made up her mind, that her one chick is all she wants. Brooding them yourself would be their safest option. The injuries don’t look too severe, so she’ll likely be fine. Very pretty teeny chick. ❤️
Thank you for your response! Her right side definitely got hit harder, her eyes starting to swell some and won’t open eye. Keeping a close eye on her hoping the swelling goes down 🤞🏻❤️

Back
Top Bottom