Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

I suppose my babies aren't really babies anymore. They've upgraded to being outside with the big girls (and a few boys). They kept jumping out of the bathtub, so out they went. I could have put some wire over the tub, but it was getting a little crowded for 10 growing chicks.

Sunbathing by the little red coop that serves no real purpose, except maybe cover from rain and shade when it gets hot.

They're doing well with the 20 older chickens, but technically it's only the 14 five month old pullets they have to deal with (the one cockerel is in solitary, since he seeks out the babies to attack them; he will be rehomed with a few pullets once the pullets start laying). So the babies have them outnumbered 17 to 14. The five adults (one year olds) don't really care about the babies and pretty much ignore them, as Leon demonstrates here...

I let the 7 older babies loose with the 10 younger ones to cause more confusion and chaos with the older girls, so the little ones wouldn't be targeted for head pecking. Worked perfectly. The older ones had already been in the coop for a couple weeks, in the separate area that is now occupied by the one cockerel, so the older girls were used to the idea of babies running around. Ignore the messy netting, I've been busy with the pen extension and haven't fixed it.

Empty nest syndrome... I need to stay away from the feed stores now, if they still have chicks... Oh wait, the Silkies are sitting on eggs...

Want to share my babies. They are golden and black sexlinks. Not really what I was hoping for, but they are cute. Can anyone tell me about how friendly they can be?

Here's my Baker's Dozen on their first adventure into the outside*!

I can't get it to embed here, but here's a quick video of them exploring.

* I know the crate isn't 100% predator-proof, but they'll never be out in it unsupervised. I will (nervously) let them free range when they're adults, but I'd never leave them unprotected where they can't get away!

Last edited:

This is Q-tip. I am 99% sure she is an Appenzeller Spitzhauben. At least as far as I can tell based on coloration and "hairdo" lol

Q-Tip funny. Yes she looks like one although she is pretty yellow for a Spitz chick. If you want, I'll take photos of mine currently at 3 weeks old if ya want. Mine are Silver Spangled. So they are grey-blue in color with Mohawks like yours. Yours could be a Golden.

My mommy and chicks taken today.

Q-Tip funny. Yes she looks like one although she is pretty yellow for a Spitz chick. If you want, I'll take photos of mine currently at 3 weeks old if ya want. Mine are Silver Spangled. So they are grey-blue in color with Mohawks like yours. Yours could be a Golden.

I would love to see pictures of yours. I am not sure if it's the lighting. She does have some yellow down but the feathers coming in look more white. I don't recall when I ordered her if they specified silver or golden. She is about 2 weeks old now.

Ok, can someone fill me in here? Every pullet I've bought, hatched and raised has had bright bred combs while growing up. I kept thinking I was constantly hatching out cockerels. Aren't pullets combs supposed to be pale and not be getting any color until a bought 18 weeks? Mine start at 3 weeks. What causes this?

Ok, can someone fill me in here? Every pullet I've bought, hatched and raised has had bright bred combs while growing up. I kept thinking I was constantly hatching out cockerels. Aren't pullets combs supposed to be pale and not be getting any color until a bought 18 weeks? Mine start at 3 weeks. What causes this?

Don't sorry about it. Mine have red combs too. And I have an orangey colored comb too :)

Back
Top Bottom