Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

My newsest additions I picked up this past weekend. My first silkies!
[/IMG]

6 days old,
was surprised to see mum and the 6 chicks out in the garden today,
got my nephew to keep an eye on them, went outside with my camera and got the gooses attention and she came over,
mum and chicks disappeared back into the coop,
no photo

hear a lot of peeping an hr later, found the little black one outside the fence calling for mum, next job check and sure up the fence.

Last edited:

Yesterday we went to our local flea market where I bought my 1st set of RIRs, and since the foxes got my roo, and Henny died of a heat stroke when the heat index was 122F at 8pm here in BAMA...a lot of new lessons and pain...but Jenny, the only remaining survivor from that 1st purchase, seemed to be a little lonely...spoiled albeit but lonely...anyhoo, I searched for the hatchery from Slap Out,AL and they were there so I bought a RIR pullet who is to lay in about a month, 2 teenage RIRs and I saw three little black chicks in a sea of yellow and told the man I'd like 2 of those. He told me the breed was Black somethings? but I just found them so adorable he gave me all 3 for $2. So, then I bought a used playpen for the wee ones. The man put the RIR teens and 3 baby chicks in the same box. He put who we now refer to as Cruella in her own box. Well, I went straight to the car and put the air on high and I kept talking in my senile baby talk and watched through the holes in amazement as the 2 RIR teens were allowing the 3 babies to run up under their wings like they belonged there. I can't sex chickens so I have no idea what my new brood will turn out but I am so happy that the fragile babies have fierce protectors. I tried to play with one of the babes with my finger when we were almost home when a teen gave me a loyal sweet peck to ward me off! I love nature and nurture. It's all so amazing. The new pullet has not one feathery maternal instinct in her evil body and after getting everyone home kept trying to peck at all of the youngins. She also has huge feet which I attributed to dependent edema from being crowded in a chicken mill...retired RN mode kicking in...they're still huge and she is still a mean gal. Jenny was extremely jealous and angry because she refused to lay yesterday and she started back this am. Wow, just like my fave line from "JurassicPark" when Dr. Malcolm Ian says, "Life...it, it finds a way."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom