Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

My sablepoot with 3 of her chicks, 2 are still hiding

Does anyone know what type of chick this is? I'm new to chickens. I think it's a little boy. Look at those tail feathers!
Based on the coloring, I'd say it's a Black Australorp. The chicks are black and white, and their juvenile feathers come in black, with some white-tipped feathers (they get the greenish shine full-black feathers at their first full molt into adulthood). And I'd say that's a girl, based on those tail feathers, at this point. Boys are slower to feather out at this age, and based on the size/color of the comb... still yellow. I have 5 female Black Australorps who are 8 weeks old, and 1 female at 4 weeks old, along with a male at 4 weeks old. He still doesn't have nearly the tail feathers that his brooder mate does, and his comb is much larger than hers.

Here are our six new chicks! They're 4 days old today and we're learning all we can. My biggest concern is my 10 year old handles them constantly!

As long as your 10-yo handles them gently, I wouldn't worry about the constant handling. It makes for a more docile bird who is used to being handled. I have an 8-week-old RIR roo who actually comes to me, and will eat out of my hand, as well as 5 RIR hens, 4 Black Australorp hens, and 4 White Jersey Giant hens. I deliberately handled ALL my birds so that they got used to it, and now, if I put my hands into their brooder box (I haven't got my hen house up yet... 2 more weeks and it will be delivered, nearly complete... just have to fine-tune it by putting in roosts, partitioning part of it off for ducklings' use, and a juvenile section so that the younger birds can be incorporated into the flock without any issues... it's a 8x12 utility shed), they don't run away, but let me pick them up... some of them even jump up on the waterer and feeder, so that they can get closer to me. I have 9 4-week-old birds (Dark Cornish hens, 1 White Jersey Giant, 2 Black Australorps and a Gold Laced Polish) that are being handled the same way, including 4 Cornish Rock crosses... they all allow me to handle them without protest.

Back
Top Bottom