Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

Pop quiz!

lavendar ameraucanas arent standardized yet, but we have 6 of them, including a rooster. They all have peacombs and every single chick we have hatched so far has had a pea comb. Momma stormy decided to hatch some eggs, 4 hatched, 1 died. The lavendar chick, however, has what seems to be growing out as a single comb?! Is there a reason to this? The only birds we have in that coop with a straight comb is our maran, comet, and buff golden. And we are positive it hatched from a blue egg, not brown. I know that it is theorized that 1 row raised on a pea comb suggests a pulleg, 3 rows suggest a roo, and I will get to question 2 later. I see no evidence of the rest of the pea comb. Your thoughts?! She is growing at a slightly faster rate than the black chick and the ee is growing slowest with barely and tail.
Is she a female becausd 1 row is raised? Is she somehow growing a single comb? I can get pictures later, its raining now.

question 2
Okay, from what I have heard
Only roosters can carry the split gene. Does this mean that only a rooster can pass on the split gene, or only a rooster can hatch a split? We have lavendar ameraucanas, and Im not the best with genes and colors, but we hatched a pure, yet black chick. Is him being a split the rooster signal? I am almost positive he is, because he had the thickest legs and a wide comb, but he is growing at the same rater as the lavendar described above, but the lavendar has a pale yellow comb.

question 3
The ee was the last one born, being a day later. It has a very thin comb, and really isnt even growing on. No comb was seen at birth, while a full 3 rows raised pea comb could be seen on the black chick. Though it is growing the slowest and has no tail feathers. Could it be male? Also, is there an explanation as to why every EE chick we hatch has a black dot on the back of its head? Also, every one of them is yellow and born with pink feet that eventually darken to green. Yet none of them ever have the same pattern?

all three chicks have full wing feathers and im not quite sure how young they are, but they were born somewhere in mid-late September.
Chick 1 is pure lavendar ameraucana
chick 2 is a pure black split
chick 3 is a white EE/Ameraucana mix with a black dot on its head.

Last edited:
Pop quiz!

lavendar ameraucanas arent standardized yet, but we have 6 of them, including a rooster. They all have peacombs and every single chick we have hatched so far has had a pea comb. Momma stormy decided to hatch some eggs, 4 hatched, 1 died. The lavendar chick, however, has what seems to be growing out as a single comb?! Is there a reason to this? The only birds we have in that coop with a straight comb is our maran, comet, and buff golden. And we are positive it hatched from a blue egg, not brown. I know that it is theorized that 1 row raised on a pea comb suggests a pulleg, 3 rows suggest a roo, and I will get to question 2 later. I see no evidence of the rest of the pea comb. Your thoughts?! She is growing at a slightly faster rate than the black chick and the ee is growing slowest with barely and tail.
Is she a female becausd 1 row is raised? Is she somehow growing a single comb? I can get pictures later, its raining now.

question 2
Okay, from what I have heard
Only roosters can carry the split gene. Does this mean that only a rooster can pass on the split gene, or only a rooster can hatch a split? We have lavendar ameraucanas, and Im not the best with genes and colors, but we hatched a pure, yet black chick. Is him being a split the rooster signal? I am almost positive he is, because he had the thickest legs and a wide comb, but he is growing at the same rater as the lavendar described above, but the lavendar has a pale yellow comb.

question 3
The ee was the last one born, being a day later. It has a very thin comb, and really isnt even growing on. No comb was seen at birth, while a full 3 rows raised pea comb could be seen on the black chick. Though it is growing the slowest and has no tail feathers. Could it be male? Also, is there an explanation as to why every EE chick we hatch has a black dot on the back of its head? Also, every one of them is yellow and born with pink feet that eventually darken to green. Yet none of them ever have the same pattern?

all three chicks have full wing feathers and im not quite sure how young they are, but they were born somewhere in mid-late September.
Chick 1 is pure lavendar ameraucana
chick 2 is a pure black split
chick 3 is a white EE/Ameraucana mix with a black dot on its head.

sorry for my terrible grammar and out of place sentences, my tablet isnt agreeing with md right now ...grr

I have 2 NN bantams, the above one is Glenda. Glenda is such a pretty name don't you agree? the hen below is "pretty Nilla" because she is the color of a Nilla cookie. Nilla layed little golden eggs for a bit then quit. Glenda has not laid any yet. I got them form a bin in the Big R straight run. but I checked the sex before buying "SHH!"
\
I must be skilled since they are both girls.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom