Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

Brand new chicken mama here and so much cuteness. Not a clue if I am doing things right. We got our babies from big r on Sunday but they did not say how old they were so I am guesstimating that the babies are maybe a week old.
Group picture. Their names are pinkie pie, rainbow dash, applejack, twilight sparkle, Anna, Elsa, Sophia, clover, batman, nibblet, stir fry

QUICK! Get them off that newspaper and onto paper towels or cloth! If you dont soon, they may get splay leg from slipping on it.

Just trying to help save you trouble sO

Adding to that, your breeds are
1- barred rock
2- Production red/sexlink
3- welsummer/brown leghorn?
4- golden laced wyandotte
5- white leghorn?

Last edited:
yeah I thought Pinkie was a barred rock...
the last (rainbow dash) is definately turning white.
I guess correct on the golden laced but nice to know the others...

Course ended up going for more so we have a total of 11. Would love to show you the others to see what they are cuz the wait is killing me.

Two weeks and a day old now! I have six altogether, but some of them were just too zippy to catch, or too squirmy to be photographed if I did catch them, so here are half my chicks on this, their fifteenth day on Earth, as they begin to enter Dinosaur Stage.

Abby (Buttercup):

Zoe (Leghorn):

Elmo (possible Partridge Rock):

I am starting to suspect that Elmo is a roo. His/her feathering is markedly different from the rest, who are all feathering in exactly like my big girls did when they were tiny. Everyone else has full wings and tails, and Elmo has half-wings with shoulders and some tiny stubby tail feathers. And you can't tell from the pictures because *every time* I picked a chick up, it sat down in my hand, but Elmo's legs are a little bit thicker than everyone else's. And Elmo has a tendency to "guard" the other chicks when I go to check in on them; they'll all run away and group in a corner or in their hide box, and Elmo's standing a little ways in front giving me the side-eye and cheeping at me. The feathering and the legs may just be the breed, and the behavior just a precocious/brave girl, but this is the first chick of this breed I've ever had, and s/he came to me as a surprise in my order after someone at the hatchery mis-sorted him/her into the box.

I suppose I won't know for sure until I start hearing some crowing going on, or unless someone who keeps Partridge Rocks can chime in on how *their* chick-babies developed. Either way I'm trying not to get too attached before I know for sure, because I'm not allowed to keep roosters; as it is my big girls can get LOUD when they lay and my neighbors have all been okay with the chickens (at least, no one has complained to me or sent code enforcement round to check up on me), but I really really doubt I could get away with keeping a boy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom