Baby chick with broken wing?

Mimi06

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2020
I had a set of barnyard mix eggs hatch out yesterday. One of the chicks had a large egg and managed to pip internally, but not externally. I have experience hatching and raising chicks, so I helped it out by giving her an air hole and time. She ended up getting stuck anyway, and I had to do help her out a bit more. By late last night, she had nearly hatched all the way out and was doing well, so I went to bed and thought she would be fine.

When I woke up this morning, she was laying on her side, detached from her shell but not moving. I thought she was dead, and since all the others had hatched, I opened the incubator to check her. She was alive, but couldn't get off of her side. I picked her up and sat her right, and she immediately flopped to that side again, almost as though she had vertigo. My first thought was a neurological disorder, since she was having so much trouble balancing and couldn't walk. But I kept sitting her up and working with her throughout today, and she can walk just fine now!

The issue is still balance though. Whenever she falls over, she can't get back up at all, and will just lay there kicking her legs and trying to move. The underside of her left wing, which is the side that appeared to be the most weak all day, is swollen and has no feathers. I can't figure out if it's from where she's been kicking at it to try and stand, or if it was injured at some point during the night. It also hangs lower than the other one, like she's dragging it. She doesn't seem to mind when I touch it though.

So is this a broken wing or a neurological condition?

it could be that it popped out of place while she was hatching.
i have heard of 2 neuroloogical conditions with balance
one was a camel and he had an absess on his head that got thru into his brain and made him lay on his side and not be able to get up. he died
one was a puppy that was born with a contition that the part of his brain that controls his balance was not fully formed. it did not bother him but it made him super shakey. it was cute tho
i hope this helps
ps; chicks usually build most of their essential strenght when they hatch

it could be that it popped out of place while she was hatching.
i have heard of 2 neuroloogical conditions with balance
one was a camel and he had an absess on his head that got thru into his brain and made him lay on his side and not be able to get up. he died
one was a puppy that was born with a contition that the part of his brain that controls his balance was not fully formed. it did not bother him but it made him super shakey. it was cute tho
i hope this helps
ps; chicks usually build most of their essential strenght when they hatch
Thank you! She's definitely better than she was this morning. I just hope she can figure out how to stand herself up soon. I'm going to have to put her in a cup when I go to bed so she doesn't get stuck overnight.

Thank you! She's definitely better than she was this morning. I just hope she can figure out how to stand herself up soon. I'm going to have to put her in a cup when I go to bed so she doesn't get stuck overnight.
Ok good I think it might sort itself out or she will evolve to deal with it. Good l <ck

Back
Top Bottom