baby chick with curved toes...what does this mean and how do I fix it?

i would first try a b2 supplement.. sounds like it needs extra riboflavin.... sounds like "curly toed paralysis" I had gotten a full grown hen with this problem. I found a supplement at walgreenss ... it was a b complex liquid supplement, but eggs are a good source of riboflavin as well.... my full grown hen would not tolerate the splint taht I made for her but a chick probably would... maybe out of pipe cleaners or something...

If it is a vitamin B deficiency, like what happened with my EE, I crushed up a B-50, mixed it with a tiny bit of yogurt, and gave her as much as I could 3 times daily. By the 2nd dose (aobut 6 hours after the first), she was finally able to stand without falling on her haunches and her toes started to uncurl. She's fine today, well, except I think she is a he.
roll.png
Search for vitamin B therapy to read about the stories of others.

I switched food after this since a decent food shouldn't allow a deficiency to occur. I ditched the junky Nutrena and started feeding a locally made organic food.

Good luck!

ETA: Others suggest getting the infant Poly-vi-sol drops without iron at a pharmacy. Dribble some along the beak to encourage her to swallow, making sure none gets up her nose (nares??). I've also added the Rooster Booster Vitamin and Electrolyte supplement to their water and will keep doing so until they are not growing so quickly.

BTW. If this is the problem, the solution will be a quick and dramatic turn around and any extra vitamin B is flushed out of her system.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom