baby chick wont open eye

mylesgeorge

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 30, 2013
I need some help. I have a 2-3 week old chick that wont open its eye. Her other eye looks fine. Whats going on and what should I do?

I need some help. I have a 2-3 week old chick that wont open its eye. Her other eye looks fine. Whats going on and what should I do?
Have you tried gently rubbing with warm wet soft cloth, maybe it's stuck?...If not, pry open and look to see if something is in there...

She seems lethargic as well. I tried to open the eye and it looks kinda swollen (the red stuff behind the eye...kinda like when my cat had cunjunctivitis). Its not goopy on the outside. There does look like there is a small piece of dirt in red area too. How would I go about getting it out? I have adult chickens but this is my first experience with chicks!

She seems lethargic as well. I tried to open the eye and it looks kinda swollen (the red stuff behind the eye...kinda like when my cat had cunjunctivitis). Its not goopy on the outside. There does look like there is a small piece of dirt in red area too. How would I go about getting it out? I have adult chickens but this is my first experience with chicks!

I rinsed the eye and got whatever it was stuck in the eye out. She still wont open her eye but I assume its probably irritated.

If we see it, we'll take a Qtip or roll u piece of tissue up and pick it out...Or hold open and flush with water..

So I removed her from the other chicks for now and I noticed her body seems really warm compared to the other chicks. So I am wondering if something else is going on. She has been sleeping in a towel for the past 45 minutes and only opened her eyes once or twice. I am going to mix up some electrolytes and give her some of that. Is there anything else I could do?

Back
Top Bottom