Baby chickens pecking each other?

Shannon

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 8, 2007
I have baby chickens (one hatched the day before yesterday) and the other last night. The older one keeps wanting to peck at the younger one. Is this normal? Is she hurting the younger one or just cleaning it? I don't want them hurting each other.

they some times peck each other to show status and to in a way chick play. My guys do it and don't worry at all its a natrual instinct unless they are drawing blood then remove the injured chick

Oh good. No blood drawn, so must be ok. I also noticed that when the older one pecks the younger one, it seems to be eating something (like dirt or something) off of the smaller one. As you can tell, I'm new to raising chicks so still learning.

Thank you!

Baby chicks seem to be alway shedding there fluff even when they hatch it could be getting some of that. good luck you will become addicted to raising baby chicks and the bonding of it my guy's now are so sweet that they just climb up into you hand to sleep:jumpy I've got seven little juzzies right now but have done many hatches

Back
Top Bottom