Baby chicks and free feeding

Athena116699

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
I am new to this so my 3 day old babies and I are learning together. My question is I have been free feeding medicated chick feed, But not sure if I should, only feed in the morning and evening or is free feeding ok? The hatchery gave me some feed to start with then I bought my medicated food. I really don't want to over medicate them...then I started getting scared. I love them so much and don't want to do anything that would hurt them. BTW they are healthy and all 6 are doing just great so far. Then again I just started feeding them the medicated feed this morning. Thank you for reading
pop.gif

I would wait for at least two weeks old.
at just a few days, their little digestive system is still delicate.

most any kind of soft leafy FRESH veggies ..... lettuce, spinach, etc. let them pick at it.
and mine LOVE watermelon !! not the green rind, but the fresh red part. (seedless)
if you give them mealworms that come in a bag or jar, cut to their size.... mmmmm yummy

hand feed them individually and they will love you forever

ain't nuthin more cuter that a box full of
newborn chickies. POGO - 1960

Last edited:
My babies are 3 days old now...so it's ok to give them a treat now and again...great....thanks...it's taking all the energy I have to not keep picking them up....I love them...2 rir 2 wyandottes, 1golden comet and 1 buff orpington...my first...

Athena, try to scam you up some Golden Pheonix (bantam) eggs for hatching.
If you can keep them away from the predators, they are really beautiful yard birds.
These are my new babies - 3 out of 8 hatched on day 21, (one died from mom standing on it)
5 eggs are still in the nest at day 24 now and I am really getting concerned

I have the two babies in the house in a box with heat lamp so the mother hen
can concentrate on hatching the remaining 5 eggs.
I was afraid she would neglect one or the other, that is why I took the 2 out of the nest.
If the others hatch, I will just add these two to her clutch at night - wala - two more mouths to feed. LOL

There ain't nothin no more cuter
than a box of baby chickies. POGO - 1960

Back
Top Bottom