Baby chicks ate puppy pad

LightNyx

Hatching
Sep 28, 2021
Hello, I have 4.5 week old barred rock chicks. Today I came home and was told by my fiance that one had eaten a large portion of the puppy pads we use on the bottom of the broader. They have pine shavings over it and grit mixed in with their food. Do you think she'll be okay?!

Hello, I have 4.5 week old barred rock chicks. Today I came home and was told by my fiance that one had eaten a large portion of the puppy pads we use on the bottom of the broader. They have pine shavings over it and grit mixed in with their food. Do you think she'll be okay?!

I also use those puppy pee pad's in the bottom of my brooder. Yes, the chick's will peck at and eat anything that they can fit into their beak's. My chick's have also eaten them, and some of them are now grown and out in the coop laying egg's. So, I would have to say that it doesn't bother them. Just make sure that the vent's aren't plugging up, but you should be doing that anyway's with the chick's checking for poopy butt's.

As long as her crop's full at night, empty in the morning, and she doesn't have a pasty butt, she should be all good.

I'm always astonished by a chicken's ability to eat something non-digestible that they shouldn't, but I suppose they would have to in order to process grit.

I'm assuming you'll be discontinuing the puppy pads now? Mine always tried to get after the little foam beanbag pellets in the back yard which came with the house. I swear this place was used as a tip before we moved in. After 3 years here, I think trash has finally stopped rising to the surface.

My favorite candy corn frizzle bantum Polish chick did same thing. 😢
Did you get any answers? How is your chick doing?

Back
Top Bottom