baby chicks eating to MUCH!!!!!

thowe

Songster
11 Years
Nov 27, 2008
NH
Can 2 week old chicks eat to much? I have 13 chicks and they eat a quart sized feeder full of chick starter in less than 8 hours. Is this ok?

Sounds fine. They do eat alot. They are growing at a tremendous rate. Unless they are meat birds, I would continue to have food available to them 24/7.

We went through 50lbs in 6.5 weeks with 9 BR chicks.
Don't know how many quarts that is though.....
smile.png

Mine have went through a 25 lb bag in 10 days
th.gif
Just want to check with the pros. I'm new to this but loving it.
jumpy.gif

I am new to this site, forums (in general), and being a chicken mama. I have 24 chicks I am raising for meat and 24 beautiful pets/egg layers/brooders -etc. My egg and reproducing chicks (22 hens and 2 roosters) are free range on my 5 acres - they get locked (for security in a well ventilated coop) up at sundown and head out to where ever they want to go in the morning. - not at sunrise, but when I get up - 7:30 or so.
The meat chicks are in a 12 x 16 coop that is well ventilated, but they don't get out to range. I read that meat chickens are better if prevented from ranging - IS THIS TRUE? They seem to always be starving - should I suppliment their food? My husband wants me to let them range too, but I don't want tough stringy meat.
ANY AND ALL ADVISE APPRECIATED!

we went thru a (I think 75 lb) bag for 100 chicks in 2 weeks, but we are gone all day so we pile the feeders full int he morning and refill them when we get home cause in 10 hours they eat almost everything.

LoL ....I too asked the same question about my chix.
a while back and they do eat as tho it were their last supper.
so now I have a gal. feed and just fill it up .
and a 3 gal. waterer.
saves time.
they are 2months old.

Back
Top Bottom