Baby chicks getting trampled under brooder

Lukeduek

Hatching
Feb 20, 2024
This is my 2nd time buying chicks I use a heat pad above them and both times I've owned chicks atleast 1 or 2 get trampled under the heat lamp and there bodies are almost one sided due to being trampled from other chicks and for next time I want to try and prevent this should I try switching over to a heat lamp? They huddle up under there and push up against each other and sometimes get on top of each other.

This is my 2nd time buying chicks I use a heat pad above them and both times I've owned chicks atleast 1 or 2 get trampled under the heat lamp and there bodies are almost one sided due to being trampled from other chicks and for next time I want to try and prevent this should I try switching over to a heat lamp? They huddle up under there and push up against each other and sometimes get on top of each other.
:welcome What are the temps in the area you are brooding in and temps under heat pad? How many chicks are you getting at once?

Stressed shipped chicks need a deep warming fast. A lot of hatcheries recommend heat lamps for at least first few days getting them fully warmed and up and eating drinking as soon as possible. Also, a good thing to offer is poultry nutri-drench as it will get them up and going faster than anything else I've used. I would try to shoot for 90 - 95 for first few days anyways. 6 should be no problem to get comfortable.

A small area large enough for the 6 to get under at 95 as long as there is a much cooler area like you said at around 50 to 60, they will regulate in and out of hot spot and sleeping in most comfortable area for each not competing for heat and piling up. They do naturally huddle but not to the extent of smothering/trampling to death this is competing for heat.

A small area large enough for the 6 to get under at 95 as long as there is a much cooler area like you said at around 50 to 60, they will regulate in and out of hot spot and sleeping in most comfortable area for each not competing for heat and piling up. They do naturally huddle but not to the extent of smothering/trampling to death this is competing for heat.
Thank you and it's mostly the weaker/smaller chicks on the bottom and the stronger ones get on top and they get stepped on.

Stressed shipped chicks need a deep warming fast. A lot of hatcheries recommend heat lamps for at least first few days getting them fully warmed and up and eating drinking as soon as possible. Also, a good thing to offer is poultry nutri-drench as it will get them up and going faster than anything else I've used. I would try to shoot for 90 - 95 for first few days anyways. 6 should be no problem to get comfortable.
I got these chicks from rural king and I want to refrain from using a heat lamp because i heard they can be fire hazard. But I think I'm gonna buy a heatlamp and use the heating pad I already have for a different coop with injured chicks so they don't get stomped on.

Back
Top Bottom