Baby chicks pecking at each other

MTChick2009

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Montana
I am sure this question has been asked again and again, but being a new chick mom, I am wondering if I should be concerned about the little ones pecking each other, they mostly seem to be pecking at each others beaks. Sorry if this is a silly question, I just want to do the best I can for my little chicklets.

Thank you!

I noticed this behavior too. I thought it was because one has a tiny bit of light color on the tip of the beak and the others thought it was food. It wasn't the case though as I noticed they're all doing it to each other. I think is must be like how babies put everything in their mouth.

Pecking at each others beaks and quick nips at each other is really very common. Unless someone is being chased and pecked viciously or blood is being drawn, I would not worry too much. Just watch them and if it gets out of hand, separate the main bully butts from the group for a bit.

Oh thank goodness! Thank you for putting my mind at ease! I suppose that pecking is their way of exploring their environment, just as all babies have a way of doing. It's pretty cute actually, the one being pecked will take a few peckings and then walk away and the one pecking will go on pecking the next closest thing.

They really are endlessly entertaining to me!

Thank you! I think I will try a red light, I hope that will help, does the red light put out as much heat or more?

Thanks again!

Quote:
Most the red lights people use are heat lamps, 250w, or less (harder to find). They do discourage picking, because chickens don't see red light well. Also helps when blood is drawn from picking, as the bloody area doesn't show up as well to the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom