Baby Chicks Sleeping Prostrate `

loadit222

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
I am completely new to this chicken raising. I just got my chicks two days ago. Things seem to be ok but I have noticed that most of the chicks lay in a prostrate position or fall asleep in thier heads or lay on thier sides. In other words they don't stand on one foot or attempt to roost. Is everything normal here?
Yes, I am a newbie.

I'm new to this too but this is one thing I know 'cause we've been there. Now our chicks are 4-6wks old. This is normal!! They're soooo cute!! They're still babies after all and just seem to stop in their tracks!!

It's so cute when they are standing there and all of a sudden fall asleep on their head! They're just babies, and like human babies, fall asleep often and whatever position they are in.

That's why it's important to put rocks in the waterer - they will fall asleep when drinking and possibly drown.

jumpy.gif

Well, I knew I was probably not the first to witness that kind of sleep in chicks. I just wanted to be sure I was right.

Anyone know when you are supposed to introduce a roost for the little chicks? I know you are supposed to teach them how to roost if they don't catch on themselves. So how early do you start? I can just see one of my little chicks doing his falling asleep act while perched on a roost, HA!

I was wondering that myself when so many of my chicks were dying - seeing one laying flat out on it's side I would think "oh no not another one" but it would wake up and stand up and be fine. Others would fall asleep with their faces pressed to the ground and their butts up in the air - so funny!!!!

molly

Quote:
We put some tree branches in the brooder pool when the chicks were 2 weeks old...they were already trying to get to the top of the waterers.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom