Baby chicks with Mama chicken will they be safe

wleigh1021

Songster
5 Years
Jan 16, 2016
New Jersey
I finally let my broody hen have baby chicks they are a week old and it will get down to the teens this week. do I need to bring them into the garage? they have a cozy Coop heater in the brooder area of the coop and also a water heater.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191112-115630_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191112-115630_Chrome.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20191107_172423.jpg
    20191107_172423.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 12
They should be great! Very cute picture! Checking on them is always a good idea, but as long as everyone fits under momma hen, and she's accepted them all, she's got plenty of warmth for them. Just be sure that their nesting area doesn't have any spots where the wind can come through and make a draft.

in case anyone comes across this thread for future reference, they were fine! I have the heater on in the brooder area since I just leave it there as I normally brood chicks outside albeit in warmer weather. She was only by the heater a little bit barely a few inches so I'm sure they don't need it but it's there and gives me peace of mind.

I'm sure you've got this more than handled, also for the benefit of future reference, make sure the waterer for the momma and babies doesn't freeze over. Dehydration (which doesn't take much when dealing with littles) can start a whole other set of problems.

Back
Top Bottom