Baby chicks

Jodeekep

Chirping
May 2, 2023
I got baby chicks tonight to give to my broody hen who’s been broody for a couple weeks. Slipped them in there while she was sleeping and left. Came back and hour later and she kicked them out. I tried again being hopeful and she tried to kill them. I do have another hen who has a baby chick she hatched the same age. Who I slipped under her and she didn’t seem affected at all. I do plan getting up before her to see if she expects them. This is my second time trying to give a brood hen chicks. The first time a fail. Is there any tips anyone could watch out for. I will say , the hen I tried to give the chicks too will be her first time as a mom.

Make sure it is black dark in the coop and the chicks are only a couple of days old at the most. How long has she been broody? Has she been broody long enough to expect a hatching? All the dots need to be connected for some hens and may others not so much. They are just happy to have chicks and other want only their chicks.

Make sure it is black dark in the coop and the chicks are only a couple of days old at the most. How long has she been broody? Has she been broody long enough to expect a hatching? All the dots need to be connected for some hens and may others not so much. They are just happy to have chicks and other want only their chicks.
Unfortunately I stopped by a couple places and they stopped with chicks til spring. Only place to go was rural king. The only young ones were 1 week. The hen I have with the baby is 1 week. So I got 2 but the broody she’s been 21 days as of today. The first time I tried I got day old ones for a hen that sat 3 weeks and she rejected them when I put them in at dark. So im lost. I’ve read some hens take week old ones and some not just depending on hen

I’ve never really dealt with broody hens with chicks before, so I don’t know much. But I wish you the best of luck! 😊
I went in the morning and she had not killed them. Then I moved them to her and she tried nudging them underneath her. The two chicks didn’t understand, so I got a tote and set up with some hay , water and chick starter with momma and the three babies and all of them crawled under her. She tucked them, I separated to see if they would bound with her. I will post pic when I can get my two toddlers situated and can go out to take one.

I went in the morning and she had not killed them. Then I moved them to her and she tried nudging them underneath her. The two chicks didn’t understand, so I got a tote and set up with some hay , water and chick starter with momma and the three babies and all of them crawled under her. She tucked them, I separated to see if they would bound with her. I will post pic when I can get my two toddlers situated and can go out to take one.
Great news! I hope it all goes well.

Attachments

• IMG_4461.jpeg
    IMG_4461.jpeg
    569.6 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom