baby duck with lots of problems

Something sort of like this but on a wayyy smaller scale. I couldn't find the post I was thinking of.

Thanks so much Reece I think I have everything except the clippies on the sides. I'm going to try this. He'll be able to socialize with Que Sera I know he will like that.

Patty

Thanks so much Reece I think I have everything except the clippies on the sides. I'm going to try this. He'll be able to socialize with Que Sera I know he will like that.

Patty
You'd want his legs to go through holes though or he'd probably flip his way right out of there.

How's Turbo doing today?

that was my original thought on making something with a cup or a yogurt container. something that would hold his body but let his feet free. if you look at the picture I posted closely that chickens legs are hanging down... I think some modifications would have to be laid if that design were used.I think something to support his body a little better maybe a piece of cloth around the front heading back as well more like a baby swing of sorts

Turbo is eating and drinking like a pig. I tried the sling. The first time I used a plastic container short enough to where his feet could barely touch. He pulled his leg out within minutes and got out of the sling. Then I used a deeper container to where his feet didn't touch and he still pulled his leg out of the hole and got out of the sling. I tried the cup and he is to tall for that he shot out of that like a cannon. The glass I put a wash rag in with him and he climbed the wash rag. He has been bad today. I got some velcrow and elastic thinking I might be able to make him a harness and that didn't work. He has the strength in those little legs to walk it is just his balance that is stopping him.

He swam today in the sink. There was a couple of times I had to stop him from flipping over in the water but he was using those legs like a normal duck.

Thanks for all the suggestions I really did try to make them work. He uses those little claws on his feet like a cat and doing anything with him is like wrestling with a summa wrestler.

Have a great evening I'm sorry I didn't post sooner.

Patty

Turbo is eating and drinking like a pig. I tried the sling. The first time I used a plastic container short enough to where his feet could barely touch. He pulled his leg out within minutes and got out of the sling. Then I used a deeper container to where his feet didn't touch and he still pulled his leg out of the hole and got out of the sling. I tried the cup and he is to tall for that he shot out of that like a cannon. The glass I put a wash rag in with him and he climbed the wash rag. He has been bad today. I got some velcrow and elastic thinking I might be able to make him a harness and that didn't work. He has the strength in those little legs to walk it is just his balance that is stopping him.

He swam today in the sink. There was a couple of times I had to stop him from flipping over in the water but he was using those legs like a normal duck.

Thanks for all the suggestions I really did try to make them work. He uses those little claws on his feet like a cat and doing anything with him is like wrestling with a summa wrestler.

Have a great evening I'm sorry I didn't post sooner.

Patty
Eating like a little pig is awesome. Now to just get some strength in that neck so he can hold his head up. Have you ever gently felt around in his crest? just wondering how much of his skull is open. Not sure if that would make a difference though. Well we'll just keep praying for Him that soon he'll be strong enough to carry that crest around normal. Give him a hug. and here is one for you too
hugs.gif

Well he ate and drank this morning like his usual self very piggish. I sit him on my lap and balance the food and the water bowl on one leg and he sits on the other leg. I hold him up and leans toward the bowl he wants to eat or drink out of. I put a tee shirt under him and he slings and throws his food everywhere. I would much rather see him slinging and throwing then not eating at all.

I haven't felt around his crest but I'll check that out. He's getting his little tail feathers in. It's like a little white poof on his back. Do ducks have an oil gland under their neck on the top of their chest? He has a little yellow thing there that he always rubs when he is trying to clean his self.

Have a great day I'm going to take Que Sera and Turbo outside in a little while. The teenage chickens hang out in the front and the momma duck always keeps them away from Que Sera and Turbo. She is still trying to convince them to come with her. I think if Que Sera could talk she would tell the momma duck that she had her chance and deserted her in the nest.

Patty

p.s. thanks for the hugs and support

Well he ate and drank this morning like his usual self very piggish. I sit him on my lap and balance the food and the water bowl on one leg and he sits on the other leg. I hold him up and leans toward the bowl he wants to eat or drink out of. I put a tee shirt under him and he slings and throws his food everywhere. I would much rather see him slinging and throwing then not eating at all.

I haven't felt around his crest but I'll check that out. He's getting his little tail feathers in. It's like a little white poof on his back. Do ducks have an oil gland under their neck on the top of their chest? He has a little yellow thing there that he always rubs when he is trying to clean his self.

Have a great day I'm going to take Que Sera and Turbo outside in a little while. The teenage chickens hang out in the front and the momma duck always keeps them away from Que Sera and Turbo. She is still trying to convince them to come with her. I think if Que Sera could talk she would tell the momma duck that she had her chance and deserted her in the nest.

Patty

p.s. thanks for the hugs and support
Their oil gland is at base of back where tail and back meet on top side. glad to hear he is eating so good.

Turbo and Que Sera enjoyed their time together outside. Turbo is trying his best to walk but there was still a lot of flipping. Que Sera kept trying to nip his feet. Ozzie our dog was laying beside me not bothering the ducks at all. The momma duck run over to Ozzie and took her chest and hit him in the back. He got up and moved and it gave me a big laugh. A duck chasing off a 65 pound dog.

I put Que Sera in the bathroom sink and she has outgrown that. She did a little swimming and mostly splashing the counter. She is growing by leaps and bounds. Turbo is filling out more not quite the butterball yet.

I guess that little thing on Turbos neck is a scar or something. He always rubs it when he is cleaning his self.

Patty

Turbo and Que Sera enjoyed their time together outside. Turbo is trying his best to walk but there was still a lot of flipping. Que Sera kept trying to nip his feet. Ozzie our dog was laying beside me not bothering the ducks at all. The momma duck run over to Ozzie and took her chest and hit him in the back. He got up and moved and it gave me a big laugh. A duck chasing off a 65 pound dog.

I put Que Sera in the bathroom sink and she has outgrown that. She did a little swimming and mostly splashing the counter. She is growing by leaps and bounds. Turbo is filling out more not quite the butterball yet.

I guess that little thing on Turbos neck is a scar or something. He always rubs it when he is cleaning his self.

Patty
Have you looked at it closely? Mama may have nipped him more than once. That is sweet mama duck is so protective, my dogs can be in the same area with my flock as long as I am there but if one chest bumped one of them I don't think that would go over very good. And they can't be around babies at all something about the peeping sets off the prey drive in them.

How old is Turbo and Que Sera?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom