baby duck with lots of problems

I have a biter too, my big Embden he never learns either. I have 3 chewers Missy and Toots and Babe, Sam being raised with ducks didn't act much like a goose so he never chewed on anything. Except me. he has always been a biter since he became sexually mature.

Yikes! Does it hurt? Donald gets overzealous taking treats from my hand so I get bit a lot, but it doesn't really hurt. Now when he gets a bite of me and then pulls, that hurts.

Yikes! Does it hurt? Donald gets overzealous taking treats from my hand so I get bit a lot, but it doesn't really hurt. Now when he gets a bite of me and then pulls, that hurts.
Geese have bills with serrated edges like a knife, Once I was kneeling down removing some boards I had put up to keep littles from getting under the fence into the dogs yard and he reached out and got hold of my top lip I looked like someone had hit me with a board. it hurt and thankfully he didn't bite it completely off or I would have had to go to hospital I still have a scar though and this was when he was probably 2yrs old so 6 yrs ago. They can stretch those necks a far ways as I found out.

Geese have bills with serrated edges like a knife, Once I was kneeling down removing some boards I had put up to keep littles from getting under the fence into the dogs yard and he reached out and got hold of my top lip I looked like someone had hit me with a board. it hurt and thankfully he didn't bite it completely off or I would have had to go to hospital I still have a scar though and this was when he was probably 2yrs old so 6 yrs ago. They can stretch those necks a far ways as I found out.

There was a game farm where I grew up, and there were tons ducks and geese and swans on their lake. The ducks and geese were totally unafraid of humans because people fed them all the time. Some of the geese there would actually come up and bite you if you didn't have something for them to eat, and it did hurt. Nothing like a duck bite that you barely even feel.

Just be sure to remember they will chew on anything, getting their house ready for painting today I have come across some other places where they have chewed on the wood. Lil stinkers.
The goose house looks so pretty and clean. Did you just paint it? I love the mauve color that you use. How many coops do you have?

Patty

I have a biter too, my big Embden he never learns either. I have 3 chewers Missy and Toots and Babe, Sam being raised with ducks didn't act much like a goose so he never chewed on anything. Except me. he has always been a biter since he became sexually mature.
Do you have 3 girls and one male goose? Does the bite feel like a hard pinch? At least they don't have spurs do they? Bubba has been spuring me everyday now. I can't seem to break him of it. I've carried him around like a baby and I've konked him with the feed bucket and he is still doing it.

I had to trim Nuggets flight wings this morning. She has been visiting the neighbors. I can just see her now digging up flower beds. I haven't had any complaints yet just the neighbors saying your chicken is lose. Hopefully the clipping will ground her.

Patty

Wow be careful. I know that hurt. Deb maybe you shouldn't get a goose.

Patty

Wow be careful. I know that hurt. Deb maybe you shouldn't get a goose.

Patty
Even as nasty as Sam can be I can't imagine not having him, This is why so many people are afraid of geese though they have had a bad experience with them usually in parks it is from geese being fed by the public and they get food aggressive and will literally run after people if they think they have food, then next thing you know the park is having to rid themselves of problem geese when it isn't even the geese fault although they are very protective of their mates and gosling too. But if given wide space and respect they will leave us alone.

I have a friend on here that has seen all the geese removed from her park because they were deemed mean and all were domestics that had been dumped, thankfully she and her group found all the geese safe homes but how sad. One person actually let their dog attack one of the geese and it did live because K and her group made sure to get it medical help and rehab. This member is an angel to me she has even given 2 of the geese a home with her.

Sorry I get vocal when it comes to geese and how they are perceived got on a soap box there.

Last edited:
Do you have 3 girls and one male goose? Does the bite feel like a hard pinch? At least they don't have spurs do they? Bubba has been spuring me everyday now. I can't seem to break him of it. I've carried him around like a baby and I've konked him with the feed bucket and he is still doing it.

I had to trim Nuggets flight wings this morning. She has been visiting the neighbors. I can just see her now digging up flower beds. I haven't had any complaints yet just the neighbors saying your chicken is lose. Hopefully the clipping will ground her.

Patty
I get pinched by mu Muscovy's when they are broody a goose bite is nothing like a pinch they actually draw blood if they get hold of skin.

Even as nasty as Sam can be I can't imagine not having him, This is why so many people are afraid of geese though they have had a bad experience with them usually in parks it is from geese being fed by the public and they get food aggressive and will literally run after people if they think they have food, then next thing you know the park is having to rid themselves of problem geese when it isn't even the geese fault although they are very protective of their mates and gosling too. But if given wide space and respect they will leave us alone.

I have a friend on here that has seen all the geese removed from her park because they were deemed mean and all were domestics that had been dumped, thankfully she and her group found all the geese safe homes but how sad. One person actually let their dog attack one of the geese and it did live because K and her group made sure to get it medical help and rehab. This member is an angel to me she has even given 2 of the geese a home with her.

Sorry I get vocal when it comes to geese and how they are perceived got on a soap box there.

Sounds like what I experienced isn't unusual. The ducks there never did act like that, though. They would come up wanting food but wouldn't try to attack you if you didn't have any. The geese never did seem to get full. Even if you did feed them, they'd try to bite you when you ran out of food. One of them got me and bit my forearm once, and it actually bit so hard that it left a big bruise on my arm.

Sounds like what I experienced isn't unusual. The ducks there never did act like that, though. They would come up wanting food but wouldn't try to attack you if you didn't have any. The geese never did seem to get full. Even if you did feed them, they'd try to bite you when you ran out of food. One of them got me and bit my forearm once, and it actually bit so hard that it left a big bruise on my arm.
They have no way of knowing when the food runs out, my first ever experience with geese was with my young children we walked them to a marina and took bread didn't know why back them not to feed it too them, thankfully my brother was with me because when we finished the bread, the geese surrounded us and we had to jump onto a park bench my brother got their attention and I fled with my kids. It was pretty scary back then. I will not even go to a park that has water fowl because it just hurts too bad to see all the domestics that have been dumped there. I know first hand those bite hurt. But i also know how to handle my gander when he even thinks about biting me. I have lived with him long enough to know what he is thinking.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom