Baby Quails Hatched, brooder size?

Kathy Sue

Hatching
May 13, 2024
How big does my brooder need to be for 13 quail chicks, and as they get bigger in the 4 weeks will it be big enough?
I have this,
Also can I get the temp higher? it’s at 85%, with the heater on? The open lid lets heat out. The room isn’t cold either. 76%.

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 25
How big does my brooder need to be for 13 quail chicks, and as they get bigger in the 4 weeks will it be big enough?
I have this,
Also can I get the temp higher? it’s at 85%, with the heater on? The open lid lets heat out. The room isn’t cold either. 76%.
Do you mean 85 F? If so yeah you want it closer to 90F at around 4 weeks in the brooder I'd say about 1/2 a square foot per quail but in their final living conditions 1 square foot per quail

If so yeah you want it closer to 90F at around 4 weeks in the brooder
Mine are off heat at 4 weeks you only want 90f within first week or so of hatch.
@Kathy Sue You don't want the whole brooder that hot they need a cool area to escape heat if they get too hot. I start out at 95F-100F in small enough area to cover all hatchlings for first day or so. And a much cooler area 20 to 30 degrees lower in rest of brooder as they will find preferred area. Then dropping heat every few days until they are at ambient temp of area. Until about week 4 and they are off heat. edit Sorry should have said I raise Coturnix Quail

Last edited:
I have this,
:welcome Welcome looks like you're using a heat plate for heat that is fine, but they shouldn't need any other heat in brooder at your ambient house temps. I would even have them in an area that has a cooler ambient temp than 76F, but you should be fine with that and the brooder plate. Keeping them at those higher ambient temps will slow their feather growth taking longer to be off heat. Edit Sorry should have said I have Coturnix Quail.

Last edited:
Mine are off heat at 4 weeks you only want 90f within first week or so of hatch.
@Kathy Sue You don't want the whole brooder that hot they need a cool area to escape heat if they get too hot. I start out at 95F-100F in small enough area to cover all hatchlings for first day or so. And a much cooler area 20 to 30 degrees lower in rest of brooder as they will find preferred area. Then dropping heat every few days until they are at ambient temp of area. Until about week 4 and they are off heat.
Yes thank you for correcting me I should’ve added that all into my post. You only want 90 fro the first week then I drop by 5 F weekly till they are ready to go outside for me I live in Florida so mine are outside by the end of 2 weeks but if it’s not already 80+ F at night do not put them oyt

Back
Top Bottom