Baby Turkey falling over -?-

marathonmultiplesmom

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Chehalis, WA
Hey everyone,

The newest additions to my family are 4 turkeys that hatched on Mar 30th and 3 seem to be thriving well but one seems dizzy often. It falls over and then kicks its legs out like it can't get up. I figured maybe he needed a nap so I picked him up to snuggle for a minute and he fell asleep. But he got up and fell over again. When the other 3 bump into him he just falls over like that. Is he okay? He is just a tad smaller than the others, too.

There seems to be some strange phenomenon with some turk poults in that they flip over on their backs like little turtles and can't right themselves. If you want to save him you need to watch him and help him up when he does this. Make sure he gets some electrolytes or water with Apple cider vinegar in it and if he seems a little weak you might want to try some unflavored, unsweetened yogurt (this will help all your turkey babies not just the sick one). The "flipping thing" always seems to go away in a few days when they get a little stronger.

We had a chicken like that named Dot. Her growth was stunted, she could walk under her siblings at 10 weeks. She's now the same size. I was told it was from a nutritional deficency, but not sure if it fits. I would say if you can't keep a close eye on him, isolate. If the others get bored and see he's weak it could end sadly.

Well, I fed the turkey water with a q-tip which it took for the 1st day then had no interest in food or water. I helped him back up when ever he flipped... but he died. Kind of sad but I still have 3 that are healthy so I will celebrate that. Thanks for your replies. Of course he died right after I watched some tv show about a mom losing her baby... I was just about already crying and then my turkey died.

We hatched out 5 turkeys, one still had the yolk sac still attached, it didn't make it..
sad.png
3 are doing great but one keeps flipping over alot and can not get back up..He is eating and drinking even gobbling up the "grow gel"When he walks it almost looks like he has a little limp.:/He seems strong I was wondering he is just 3 days old..Will he grow out of it???

I just had a chick hatch yesterday who is doing this.

Gave it some warm water with some sugar. acted thristy and then fell alseep in my hand.
Could stand by itself after drinking but acting weak on one side.

I keep putting it on its breast or standing it up. I do not want it laying on its back.

I cannot remember what my friend Jake told me about this years ago.

Hi, I am having the same issue with some baby turkeys hatched just 4 days ago. They were falling behind the others in the yard yesterday. One was clearly having "drunken step" wobbles, so I brought it in for the night to care for it. It died around midnight of what looked like a small seizure.

Three others are having the same symptoms today. They looked tired, lagged behind. I picked them up to give them a rest. They dozed off, but woke up worse, unable to walk and kept falling over backward. This is the same pattern as the first so I don't think they will live.

I've tried: droppering electrolyte chick booster treated water into their mouths. Crushed some earthworm to give them protein. Only one is able to swallow normally. Perhaps that one will live.

Back
Top Bottom