Baby wood duck won't eat

THunter

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Poultry Capital of the World
I had a pair of woodies that hatched off a brood of ducklings. Neighbors dog broke in the pen somehow and killed all but one new duckling. I have him in a brooder but he doesn't seem to have interest in eating the starter feed I give him. Any tricks I should know? I'm used to baby chickens and have never seen them need any coaching.

When I get woodies in to the rehab centre, I first feed them on white margarine/sour cream lids. They are shallow enough for them to reach in and get the food and the contrast in colour between the lid and the food piques their curiousity. A couple of live wiggly mealworms and a sprinkle of duck starter usually gets them going. The duck starter for wild waterfowl we recommend is Mazuri. This type of starter floats on water so is great for dabblers. It is a bit big I feel for the woodies to begin with so I always whirl it in the blender to break it up. The key with woodies is to disturb them as little as possible . Give them a feather duster taped to the side of their brooder for them to hide under. A baby mallard the same size is always a welcome admission as they demonstrate very effectively what the woodies should do with the food. Chop up green grass very finely as well...just make sure no herbicide has been applied. Good Luck.

This may be an old post. But it is a good , helpful and informative post. And that never gets old. Unlike me
lau.gif

Unfortunately these need coaching. If you have other baby ducks put him with them. If not at least baby chicks. Sometimes you have to forcefeed them. They are known for this problem ,sometimes even when you take a clutch from the mother not all make it. Thats why I try to be the first thing they see out of the bator. Good luck with him. Hope this helps. Edited to say great tips from Picco too
wink.png

Last edited:
Wood ducklings are notoriously difficult to feed without their parents to show them. Some require a varied diet including live food to stimulate them. Try adding small meal worms and crickets to the feed dish. Adding a domestic duckling of the same age/size can also help via "monkey-see, monkey-do". Putting the brooder outside where insects will be drawn to the heat lamp is another great way to supplement the diet. Wood ducks are a wild species and can take a while getting used to a grain based diet.

There was someone in this forum that said baby wood ducks have to fall or they won't eat, so he/she would drop them. I don't know if this is true or correct, so I wouldn't try that just yet. I am hoping that expert wood duck breeders will chime in on this.

I was serious, someone in this forum said that, but I don't remember who. They said they would just pick the ducklings up and drop them or they wouldn't eat. I guess it had to do with them jumping out of trees when they're a day old. I don't know if it's true and I certainly don't think people should drop their ducklings!

We understand someone really said that, but it really isn't true. They don't all hatch out of tree holes, and so even in the wild they are not all "dropped" or "jump started" as someone on here claimed... They'll be fine to drop, some drop 30 ft from trees in the wild onto the ground, water, etc. but for sure they don't need it. Tough little suckers!

Hunter, put it with some others and give it some time. It may be in shock still and will require some time to recover. Don't be disturbing it, its a wild animal and most likely won't enjoy the company of a person, especially after being hatched under the hen...

Travis

Back
Top Bottom