Babygirl's mad at me and I dont know why!?

daidyducks

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 24, 2011
Ontario,CA
First, starting yesterday, or could have been the day before, I caught my babygirl (pekin, this is why its weird) sitting on her eggs in her coop.
Usually she cant wait to get out in the mornings to run around and bug us with her cute quacks but for some reason she was just sitting on top of her eggs while my drake sat beside her on the outside (cage) being a security duck ;)

as soon as she saw me step into the backyard to refill their waterer she got up and covered her eggs.
When I went over to hug her she started quacking and didnt let me get near her so I just left her alone

again today, same thing; my hubby saw her laying on her eggs so he just left her alone
I just went to go check up on them and as I was walking towards her to hug her..... she didnt let me again
:(
she usually just stands there til I get to her and hug her. I talk to her and all and she never wants to get away until recently

could her sitting on her eggs have to do with this? but then again I thought pekin ducks didnt care much for eggs ?

anything can help! i just dont want to be too worried over nothing

thanks!

Last edited:
She is probably just feeling broody and protecting her eggs! You can try taking the eggs away if you don't want her to be broody, but I don't know how quickly she'll stop feeling the monthering thing. My chicken hens take a long time to get over broodiness!

I would think she'll be back to normal in a month or two after breeding season is over . . .

She sounds like a sweet duck!

she's not mad at you, she just does not want you to take her eggs...she wants to sit on them and hatch them...if they are fertil which they most likely are if your drake is mature...they will hatch in roughly 26 days because duck eggs take 28 days to hatch and you said she has been sitting on them for 2 days so if you let her sit on them and if they are fertil you will have some cute little ducklings running around soon
big_smile.png

She is probably just feeling broody and protecting her eggs! You can try taking the eggs away if you don't want her to be broody, but I don't know how quickly she'll stop feeling the monthering thing. My chicken hens take a long time to get over broodiness!

I would think she'll be back to normal in a month or two after breeding season is over . . .

She sounds like a sweet duck!

Oh shes a VERY sweet duck! :) I guess she is feeling broody because she still hasnt let me near her these past couple days. Shes sitting on about... 15+ eggs but the problem is we cant be having little ducklings running around right now. Were in a tight spot. BUT I dont want her to be crying or be mad at me.
Since she sits on her eggs for HOURS a day, is it possible that we will have ducklings even though she gets up in the afternoon and leaves her eggs for the rest of the day?

she's not mad at you, she just does not want you to take her eggs...she wants to sit on them and hatch them...if they are fertil which they most likely are if your drake is mature...they will hatch in roughly 26 days because duck eggs take 28 days to hatch and you said she has been sitting on them for 2 days so if you let her sit on them and if they are fertil you will have some cute little ducklings running around soon
big_smile.png

But I cant have any more ducklings right now! hahahah what am I supposed to doooooo :(

Couldnt you hatch them and maybe sellthem? My pekins dont even like when im near them. There the first to lay and first to get as far away as possible.

Back
Top Bottom