Bachelor Pad

mccmeadows

Songster
Jul 19, 2021
Oil Springs, ON
Looking for guesses on the breeds of our BYM cockerels in our bach pad. Trying to make the most informed decisions I can when it comes to spring time hatching in terms of egg colours I can produce. I’m really just hoping someone has some guys that look similar to ours and they can share the breed they are. 🤗

6C8BBFD8-CB73-4CE3-A694-90765D7DDC9F.jpeg

The two in the middle are from a group we purchased and raised in our brooder. To my knowledge, the roosters were Cream Legbar, Ameraucana and Maran, then for hens Easter/Olive Eggers, Maran, Buff Brahma, Cream Legbar, Ameraucana and Barred Rock. The fibro and the blonde boy were given to us from someone in the city and I have no idea of the possible parents.

Here’s a couple more close ups of everyone. I guess I don’t have any of Ruffio(red and black boy), but he’s got this fabulous white barred underside and 2 tail feathers with barring.

B6EDF362-06C1-4295-8675-E926D2F65E90.jpeg
C1A31447-E01B-4F56-BA8A-EC7634DE7877.jpeg

D9356EA5-879F-40BD-AA95-56E7D4DE07D9.jpeg

Looking for guesses on the breeds of our BYM cockerels in our bach pad. Trying to make the most informed decisions I can when it comes to spring time hatching in terms of egg colours I can produce. I’m really just hoping someone has some guys that look similar to ours and they can share the breed they are. 🤗

View attachment 2941453

The two in the middle are from a group we purchased and raised in our brooder. To my knowledge, the roosters were Cream Legbar, Ameraucana and Maran, then for hens Easter/Olive Eggers, Maran, Buff Brahma, Cream Legbar, Ameraucana and Barred Rock. The fibro and the blonde boy were given to us from someone in the city and I have no idea of the possible parents.

Here’s a couple more close ups of everyone. I guess I don’t have any of Ruffio(red and black boy), but he’s got this fabulous white barred underside and 2 tail feathers with barring.

View attachment 2941521View attachment 2941530
View attachment 2941538
Nice looking boys!😊
Best guess is Easter Eggers for the solid black and the last one pictured (black with white). The two in the middle in the first photo look like Marans mixes, they both have feathered legs. Could be a type of Olive Egger.

Nice looking boys!😊
Best guess is Easter Eggers for the solid black and the last one pictured (black with white). The two in the middle in the first photo look like Marans mixes, they both have feathered legs. Could be a type of Olive Egger.
Nice looking boys!😊
Thanks! I thought they were all nice enough to stay this side of the freezer 🤗

Do you know much about egg genetics? If I breed each one to a white layer will I get an idea of what genes the rooster carries? I want to create a group of fibro rainbow layers, but also trying not to bring home anymore chickens and just start with what I have. My chicken math has definitely surpassed the “we’ll just get enough hens for a couple dozens eggs a week for us” 🤷🏼‍♀️

Thanks! I thought they were all nice enough to stay this side of the freezer 🤗

Do you know much about egg genetics? If I breed each one to a white layer will I get an idea of what genes the rooster carries? I want to create a group of fibro rainbow layers, but also trying not to bring home anymore chickens and just start with what I have. My chicken math has definitely surpassed the “we’ll just get enough hens for a couple dozens eggs a week for us” 🤷🏼‍♀️
Chicken math is real! 🤣
I started with 6 and now have 25! Try to keep my numbers below 20, some of mine are grow out chicks which I plan to sell, so I don’t really count those…
I am not an expert in egg color genetics but I have a basic understanding of it. Yes, breeding your boys to white layers will help you figure out their genetics. Most olive Eggers and Easter Eggers have at least one copy of the blue egg gene. Depending what the other copy is, these boys when crossed with a white egg layer will give you pullets that either lay brown eggs or blue/green eggs.😊
chicken-math-infographic-410x1024.jpg

Chicken math is real! 🤣
I started with 6 and now have 25! Try to keep my numbers below 20, some of mine are grow out chicks which I plan to sell, so I don’t really count those…
I am not an expert in egg color genetics but I have a basic understanding of it. Yes, breeding your boys to white layers will help you figure out their genetics. Most olive Eggers and Easter Eggers have at least one copy of the blue egg gene. Depending what the other copy is, these boys when crossed with a white egg layer will give you pullets that either lay brown eggs or blue/green eggs.😊View attachment 2941994
Perfect, I was hoping that was the case, but sometimes I read so much stuff that I then feel more unsure. I guess our Blue Andalusian girls will just be making their rounds in the spring!

That diagram is perfect cause by it, I only have like three unnamed, not laying yet, freeloading chickens, so lots of room for more!! When we got our first group the plan was to keep one rooster and a handful of girls to hatch a couple chicks for ourselves each year and then keep a few girls in a hen house.. We now have a hen house with 30 girls, a bachelor pad with these 4 boys and two breeding coops with Orpingtons in one and Wyandotte’s in the other.

Back
Top Bottom