Back from chicken haitus...Can a rooster NOT be dominant with three hens??

ctchopper

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 2, 2014
Acton, CA
I've rescued what I thought were four young hens, between 6-8 months I was told. One has turned out to be a rooster, which was not obvious until I had them for a few weeks. He crows just a bit and not before 7:00 am, his spur nubs are starting to emerge and his waddles and feathers are definitely rooster. He tries to mount the girls and they all beat him back! He is the only one of the four that does NOT get up on the roost in my small coup, but sleeps on the floor. I was going to find him a new home, but he's so quiet and passive (so far) and when they forage he pairs up with one while the other two hang out. He appears healthy. What's UP??

Welcome back to BYC!

The girls might be bullying him from the roosts. It's not uncommon for hens to be above the rooster in the pecking order. Especially with new and younger roos, the girls might not accept him as the head of the flock yet. The hens should begin to accept him as flock leader as he matures and gains confidence.

Thanks for your reply. Is it possible he's just a timid guy? I don't mind having a rooster but I don't have acreage and if he starts crowing earlier they might take issue even though I am semi-rural. Also, I worry that if he does go full rooster three hens would likely be ravaged because of the low ratio. I've read that some hens don't develop both ovaries and that can turn them more masculine. Guess I'm trying to justify just keeping him. I have found a good home for him, especially since it's a family with small kids and a calm rooster would be good for them. But this tiny flock of mine also seems to have found their stride so to speak. He looks full grown except for the spurs not yet developed so was wondering if by now he should kind of be who he's going to be.

Thanks for your reply. Is it possible he's just a timid guy? I don't mind having a rooster but I don't have acreage and if he starts crowing earlier they might take issue even though I am semi-rural. Also, I worry that if he does go full rooster three hens would likely be ravaged because of the low ratio. I've read that some hens don't develop both ovaries and that can turn them more masculine. Guess I'm trying to justify just keeping him. I have found a good home for him, especially since it's a family with small kids and a calm rooster would be good for them. But this tiny flock of mine also seems to have found their stride so to speak. He looks full grown except for the spurs not yet developed so was wondering if by now he should kind of be who he's going to be.
At 6-8 months, his personality will most likely stay the same, though he may come out of his shell a bit more once he is fully acclimated to his new home. Not all roosters are aggressive maters so you might not have issues with there only being three hens. I think you'll just have to see how your neighbors take to his crowing.

I've rescued what I thought were four young hens, between 6-8 months I was told. One has turned out to be a rooster, which was not obvious until I had them for a few weeks. He crows just a bit and not before 7:00 am, his spur nubs are starting to emerge and his waddles and feathers are definitely rooster. He tries to mount the girls and they all beat him back! He is the only one of the four that does NOT get up on the roost in my small coup, but sleeps on the floor. I was going to find him a new home, but he's so quiet and passive (so far) and when they forage he pairs up with one while the other two hang out. He appears healthy. What's UP??
Welcome to BYC!!

Are they hatch mates? All the same age? Because it sound more like a younger cockerel and older hens. I am wondering if they are not younger than 6-8 months when you got them? At 3 months, it can be a bit tricky to identify some roosters, but by 6 month you should KNOW.

It sounds more like you have older hens, and a younger rooster. As he gets more mature, they will accept him, and he will work his way up to the roost.

Keep him as long as you can as you seem to enjoy him. I humbly disagree with Silver birds, today's behavior with a cockerel is not an indicator of his behavior next week. This forum is filled with posts where the darling became the nightmare. So enjoy him while you can, do have a plan B where you can separate him if needed.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom