Back to the coop

broomrider

Songster
6 Years
Apr 11, 2014
Northeast Missouri
I'm new to layers and I tried to find the answer to my question before I posted this. My hens and one rooster (was suppose to be a pullet) have been living in their coop (plenty of room to roam) for about 12 weeks now since we have not been able to build the run. It literally rains 5 out of 7 days.... a lot. I live in Missouri and not the Rain Forest like it seems! I would like to start letting my hens free range some especially since they don't have a run but I'm afraid they won't come in when I want them to. How do I train them to go back into the coop from free range?

Last edited:
Should I give them some first so they will know what it is? Will it rattle in a pan if I shake it? If I'm going to give them scratch do I give them some grit too? Should I train 4-5 at time? I have 12. Sorry for all the questions. There's so much to read on here it's hard to find what you're looking for sometimes.

In my opinion, they are plenty old enough to be let out and just before dark they should go back to their coop all by themselves. Make sure you have easy access for the girls to get in and out of the coop. Hopefully you have roosts for them inside the coop so they are used to them otherwise they may want to roost in the trees at night. Scratch or feed is a great idea if the girls won't go in at night, i just call them, here chickies, come on girls and they come a running like a starving herd of buffalo.
Do you have predators? Just something to think about or check into before free ranging them, I'd hate to see you loose your flock to a fox, coon, or hawks. As far as rain goes, sometimes my flock will sit right out in the rain by choice but other times they will just go into the coop and roost.
Most people keep their chickens confined to the coop for a week or two before free ranging them this way they know where roosts, food, and water are located.
Best of luck.

Thanks. I think I will give it a try tomorrow if it doesn't rain. I think I will just try a few of them first. I don't want to be trying to catch 12 of them if they don't want to come in.

Should I give them some first so they will know what it is?  Will it rattle in a pan if I shake it?  If I'm going to give them scratch do I give them some grit too?  Should I train 4-5 at time?  I have 12.  Sorry for all the questions.  There's so much to read on here it's hard to find what you're looking for sometimes.

I give mine a handful of scratch in the evening and they race back to the coop for it. You may want to give them a little for a few evenings at the same time prior to letting them out and make it a routine. They will soon catch on. I generally call them in too.

If they already know what a rattling feed scoop sounds like, that will be in your favor.

Can you just form a makeshift run around the coop door so they can go outside but not free range?
Some 6' tall 2x4" welded wire can form a circular area with just a couple tall stakes to hold it down, you can overlap the ends to make a 'door' for you to enter.
Start by letting them out late in the day, an hour before dusk, so they won't go far before wanting to go back in coop.
Once they are going back into the coop at dark, using the rattling feed scoop to train them, you can take the fencing down.

I guess I was worried for nothing. I couldn't get them to come out of the coop. They'd get to the threshold of the door, look around and go back in! I finally coaxed three out but the darn rooster kept crowing so they wanted back in. The rooster will be in the frying pan as soon as he's big enough.

Back
Top Bottom