Backoff Rooster!

drdoct

Songster
Feb 7, 2022
Griffin, GA
I have an almost 1 yr Cockerel who about every other day is feeling his hormones and wanting to spar a few rounds with me. I've done all the other stuff like holding him or 'mounting' him. The only thing he seems to really understand is a couple of kicks. Not really hard but enough to give him his sparing time. I'm going to let him grow up a bit because I feel like he's not being mean but just dealing with those hormones. A few days ago I was filling up the water dispensers on the rabbits and he decided to have a little fun with me.

I found a better way of cooling him off. I took the 1gal jug of water and thew it on him. It's a milk jug so it just kinda chugged out some at a time. But after 2 times it turns out he hated getting wet more than he wanted to scrap. So he uttered a few choice words and left with his girls. This morning we did the same. This time it was only 1 time I had to throw it on him and he immediately left muttering under his breath to his ladies.

Anyone else ever done this? I'm not soaking him with a hose or something, just throwing a bit of water on him. Less than he would get during a rainy day.

Whenever a rooster gets aggressive around me, I chase them off or gently press them to the ground. They usually don’t bother anybody after that.

Back
Top Bottom