backward chickens

rehsanipoor

Songster
6 Years
Jan 29, 2018
Baltimore, MD
This is going to sound ridiculous, but my chickens are roosting backward! The top roost of my ladder roost is too close to the wall. I didn't think this would be a problem, because there is enough roost space without it. I figured they just wouldn't use it. Well surprise, they apparently all want to be on the top but have to face the wall. See picture below (I have added more roosting places in the back that are not pictured).

I'm just making sure there is not a problem with them doing this. In truth, it's kind of nice, because their droppings all land below and don't get on the walls. Thoughts?? Should I make the legs longer so that they can turn around?

57C5B837-CF71-4877-9F57-251DF2C4D256_1_105_c.jpeg

Of course they all want the one roost as they all want the same nesting box. :D
Chickens are crazy.
Are you talking about the part/legs that attach it to the wall? Using longer boards there might help take it further from the wall.

Yes, I would make the legs that rest on the wall longer, but the question is do I need to? They seem content this way and my wall is clean. I also wonder if they will even turn around now that they are used to roosting facing the wall.

Yes, I would make the legs that rest on the wall longer, but the question is do I need to? They seem content this way and my wall is clean. I also wonder if they will even turn around now that they are used to roosting facing the wall.
They likely will if space allows. Just keep in mind your spacing, so the ones on top do not poop on the ones below.

If they want to roost facing the wall, and it doesn't cause issues, I say let them.

We have a roost over the poop board. Sometimes they don't all face forward and I leave them be. If though, they are roosting on the edge of the poop board tray and are backwards (so poop lands on floor, not board) I do move them.

Are they full grown? Just wondering if they aren't if they will still fit. If full grown and it's working then I agree with Rojo. Let them be.
x2. If they're still growing at some point they probably won't fit.

But yes it's normal for them to want to be high up as possible, even if it's not the most comfortable or practical of roost placements.

Back
Top Bottom