Bacon's Flock

DeepFriedBacon

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 16, 2013
NW Indiana
Hello all, just wanted to share a few pics of my flock, granted, it's a small flock, and my first! I don't have chick pics, as I actually stumbled upon(quite literally) my first chicken. Col. Sanders was apparently homeless. Amazingly, my work trailer must of looked just like Col.'s former home, as when I left the doors open while working on the neighbors shed, she ( I think "she" but haven't gotten an egg in almost a month since i've aquired her) decided that it looked enough like it, and decided to hop in and look around. When I returned to close up the doors and pick up my son from school, I got quite the surprise, in the form of loud screaming and flapping. Which of course, shocked me to say the least. Ok, fine, I almost fell over, dropping the hammer in my hand I could of used for defense if I was actually in danger... Just glad the neighbor didn't see it.

Finding this sight, and reading, found out that chickens need company. A few clicks on craigslist, and I got 2 easter eggers to keep the Col. company. Little did I know about chicken math. In fact knew nothing of it until of course I came here. I blame you people...as I've spent about the same amount of time building a tractor for them as I have browsing through hatchery websites, you know, just to "look".

Better get to the pics I guess. This is the Col. I'm guessing Blue Cochin, and guessing hen, although been a month, not a single egg. She appears old enough, could be wrong though. Doesn't seem to have the heavy feathering on her feet, just a few.

Here is one of the easter eggers, still unnamed at this point. These gal's are just super friendly. You can pick them up, although they do seem to enjoy looking up at me rather than me hold them...I don't know who said chickens were dumb, but these 2 eggers are the opposite. Took about 3 times of me hand feeding them worms and they knew what the little blue container contained...Back to the naming, I was leaning towards calling the black head egger "Darth Yokes". I dunno why, it just seems to fit.

Here is the other "gal". In keeping with the "Darth Yokes" theme, thinking about Eggsbi-wan Kenobi. Not that these 2 are locked in a battle over galaxies or anything, just sounds neat. My son is also a star wars nut ( No idea where that came from...) so he thinks it's perfect.

Here I am trying to coax them out into the yard to "free range" for a bit. They were a bit nervous at first, so I figured if I acted like a rooster, and scratch and find food, they'd relax. It worked, and I am now the tallest rooster in the world. I can't help but think that they are thinking" This guys a sucker."

I'm sure to add more pics of our adventures as they happen. If anyone has any idea as to what breed the Col. is, if it's possible that she could be a "he" and any idea of approximate ageplease share! I know it's almost impossible, but you guys are pretty sharp, and have a better eye than I... Thanks for looking!

One more pic!

You have a lovely flock.
smile.png

Why thank you. I'm hoping hen, 98% sure it's a hen. The easter eggers are about a year old, and they've been averaging about 4-5 eggs a week a piece. Which sounds a tad high, I do have a light that shines in the tractor, but not in the "coop" section, and usually the girls are heading for bed about 4 o'clock central time.

Ah ok, I was hoping for looking young than looking old!

Am I right on the blue cochin part? She is also the most skittish, but I'm betting that was from roaming free for a while before finding the trailer.

Well she's lucky to have walked into your trailer! Col looks like a she to me. Not sure as to what breed. She seems to be getting along pretty well with the easter eggers. Hope you're enjoying the fresh eggs
welcome-byc.gif

Could be the Colonel shut down egg making while she was homeless. We got a big fat chook who was rescued from a chicken hoarder, and it took her about three weeks to lay.

How about HenSolo?

I like HenSolo...

I was thinking the same thing, winter, poor thing didn't have a home for who knows how long, then gets tossed in with 2 strange chickens...easily tramatizing.

Also, might even be starting to molt? Getting quite a few feathers under the roost every morning. No bald spots, no feather plucking, but I didn't think they would even start a molt with the weather so cold.

Who knows...silly chickens.

One more question: does free ranging them cause a change in the "poop"? It sorta looks likee the first dump from a baby, I forget what its called, but looks black and tar-ry. I'm hoping it was just a transition from all pellet feed to bugs worms and greens.
I will keep an eye on them a lil more.

Back
Top Bottom