Bad Breeder.. Anything I can do?

GloriaAria

Hatching
Jun 9, 2016
Hi everyone i'm relatively new to raising poultry, i've only raised a few annual food flocks with my family as a child, so I decided to have my own pet flock now that i'm older. I went to my local poultry farm in Robertsdale Al to select my new pets but as soon as we took them home we started to notice problems. At first we noticed that my d'uccle has bent toes but we hoped it was something that could be corrected without it interfering with the birds life too badly. That night we noticed that the younger birds started sneezing, closing their eyes, become stiff, and eventually die. About one bird a night passed under perfect conditions :( We took the rest of the flock back to the breeder after 6 out of 11 of the babies died. When we went back we noticed that many of the birds in their possession were either dead or had runny noses, closed eyes, and stiffness just like in our birds! I believe it was a respiratory disease is there anything I can do because I still have the turkey I purchased from them and he has a runny nose and sneezes from time to time. Im very concerned for my bird and don't want sick birds to be sold to others.. Please help!
hit.gif

Thank you for the links.. I disinfected my old coop/pen and returned the old chicks. I found a new place to buy my chicks from and these have been happy and healthy all week now! Hoping to hatch some turkeys soon too!
yesss.gif

Could it have been avian flu? It sounds like they were dying pretty fast to be a "regular" respiratory illness. Sorry about your babies!

Back
Top Bottom