Bad case of sour crop - please help

I'm glad you were able to seek vet care. Did they perform an x-ray? Do you happen to have an image of that you wish to share so we can all learn from it?

Can you clarify what you mean by the oil and calcium - those might work?

If she is "Internally Laying" - this means that fully and/or partially formed egg(s) have dropped into the abdominal cavity. Once in the abdominal cavity they cannot come out unless surgery is performed - that is pricey as you found out and it's very risky as well. Some hens can recover well from surgery, but in order to keep that from happening again (laying internally), you would also want to stop her from ovulating (producing eggs) - this can be accomplished with Suprelorin Implants - the vet would adminster this every 3-4months or you could have the ovaries removed - major surgery.

A lot of times it's hard to know - there is also Salpingitis which an inflammation of the oviduct - this produces "lash eggs" this is a layered coagulated caseous ball of pus that is a lot of times shaped like an egg -these can be laid like a normal egg (through the oviduct) or sometimes these will reach the abdomen by reverse peristalsis of the oviduct - the same way hard/soft shelled eggs reach the abdomen.
Either way - eggs in the abdomen - not much can be done but to keep them comfortable or have surgery. Antibiotics may help with any secondary infection and prolong life.

If you happen to lose her, having a necropsy to see exactly what is in there would be a good idea - it can be educational. I know that sounds morbid to some, but I've found that by actually seeing it, gives closure, helps you to know there was nothing more that could be done and it's surprisingly interesting.

I have asked for a copy of the film to be sent to me. I will post it once I receive it.

Hi All - We finally had to put her down. Our girl still wasn't feeling well, the prognisis was poor and we didn't want her to suffer. After tears and much angst we put her down Saturday morning.

It was confirmed by a vet (via x-ray) that she had indeed laid internally. We will post the xray pics as soon as we receive them via the mail.

As one author put it putting down a sick animal is one most loving things we can do for those pets for whom we are responsible. We took that step Saturday and are grateful we did. She's no longer suffering. Thanks for all the responses. We appreciate all of you.

Back
Top Bottom