Bad chicken food

Suzierd

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Oregon
I have read never to feed chickens potato peels is this true? Can you give chickens raw oatmeal or will it swell in the stomach and be a danger? Is there anything else I should know about that should not be feed to chickens other then the obvious candy sugar junky stuff.
Thanks for any input.

I've heard that the raw green potato peels can become toxic, so I don't give those to my chickens (although they've eaten some out of the compost pile).
I only give my chickens cooked oatmeal during the cold winter periods as a nice warm meal. I throw in some scrambled eggs (if they're laying well).
The rest of the year there are so many bugs and so much grass that I don't go out of my way to prepare anything extra for them (they enjoy the kitchen scraps).

smile.png

I've heard that the raw green potato peels can become toxic, so I don't give those to my chickens (although they've eaten some out of the compost pile).
I only give my chickens cooked oatmeal during the cold winter periods as a nice warm meal. I throw in some scrambled eggs (if they're laying well).
The rest of the year there are so many bugs and so much grass that I don't go out of my way to prepare anything extra for them (they enjoy the kitchen scraps).

smile.png
I can't free range my chickens, do you think they get enough protien from the crumbles or should I be adding some? If so how often? Thank

Also, as an added treat - boost of more protein - or for my own comical viewing pleasure - when I go out to feed my guard dogs, I toss some of their kibble onto the ground for the chickens to go crazy over.
It's a hoot to watch!!

Made a yummy treat (meal) of yogurt, cottage cheese, peas, watermelon, grapes, bird seed (picked out the sunflower seeds they still had the shells on).

They loved it!

Do chickens actually like cottage cheese, well i never.! How often to you give your chickens a treat Suzierd, i'm still at a loss over treats in the afternoon!

Julie x

Back
Top Bottom