Bad luck with barred rocks

ChickmomMik

Hatching
Mar 20, 2023
We must have bad luck buying barred rock chicks even though everyone says they are easy to sex as chicks. Our first one just started crowing today and our 4 week old is growing red wattles already. So I'm guessing this one is a roo as well. 😔 Can anyone confirm my suspicion?

Attachments

• 20230326_173833.jpg
    20230326_173833.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230326_173928.jpg
    20230326_173928.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 14
If they are hatchery stock, they don't breed for the standards which makes it harder to sex from the dots on their head.
My 6 week old barred rock pullet chicks have no noticeable wattles and their combs are still quite yellow.

If they are hatchery stock, they don't breed for the standards which makes it harder to sex from the dots on their head.
My 6 week old barred rock pullet chicks have no noticeable wattles and their combs are still quite yellow.
It was from a local breeder. It only has a small tail and a larger comb (yellow still) than my other who is a week older. But it's darker in color with black wash feet so I'm holding out minimal hope.

From my understanding, they have to breed to standards for the sexing by the dot to be spot on. That means culling (or removing) from the breeding stock. What I've seen from a lot of backyard breeders is that they don't do that unless they are focusing on show stock.
You should also be able to tell by the barring. I'm not a pro at this, so waiting is your best option unless someone with more experience comes along. 😉

We must have bad luck buying barred rock chicks even though everyone says they are easy to sex as chicks. Our first one just started crowing today and our 4 week old is growing red wattles already. So I'm guessing this one is a roo as well. 😔 Can anyone confirm my suspicion?
Pullet.

Back
Top Bottom