I thought I’d add a couple photos to update anyone following or reading this thread down the road. I ended up discovering that the little girls love to perch on top of the “escape” crate I added to their run....so I didn’t need to make any adjustments to the cardboard hole after all (I actually took down the cardboard altogether). They just perch up top if the big girls get feisty with them.

Attachments

• 0C1E8E73-4662-42A9-A128-E311782DA3E4.jpeg
    0C1E8E73-4662-42A9-A128-E311782DA3E4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • CFCC9D12-D484-4CC6-9AFA-519FD3243241.jpeg
    CFCC9D12-D484-4CC6-9AFA-519FD3243241.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I thought I’d add a couple photos to update anyone following or reading this thread down the road. I ended up discovering that the little girls love to perch on top of the “escape” crate I added to their run....so I didn’t need to make any adjustments to the cardboard hole after all (I actually took down the cardboard altogether). They just perch up top if the big girls get feisty with them. In my opinion it actually looks like they got the better deal :D

Looks great and great job, so happy its working out......!

Keep the younger two and get rid of the older ones. Then no more bullying and it will give you time to build on to the run before you get anymore if you ever want more.

I thought that the coop looked big enough for 4 hens easily if they are getting along and the “run” too small. Instead of removing them and trying to reintroduce them, I would attach the new fencing to the existing coup somehow and separate the older ones from the younger alternating the spaces for them each day. That way they are in sight of each other and can get better acquainted yet they can’t fight. I used to ”walk” my chickens because of predators so you could try that and let the all outside together while you supervise. It is another way for them to become a proper flock without them (or you) being stressed. Of course you’ll have to have separate feeding equipment and if you are worried about overhead predators you can put bird netting over the new fence or buy a screen tent to put next to the coup. I think they should still be able to see and hear each other. Hope this helps. Hang in there. I was stressed out when I first got birds But it gets better. It just shows that you care about their well-being.

Thanks for the advice so far. I had a hunch the space was not adequate, and we were planning to build a larger run but I can’t seem to convince my husband that it’s urgent. I’m attaching some pictures of our current setup for reference.

Our plan was to get two older buffs to go with the one we had, but when we went to pick them up the seller said he’d made a mistake and only seemed to have one older buff. That’s how we ended up with two younger ones, as I didn’t want to bring home just one young hen to be with the two older ones.

So to clarify, we have:
Our original 7 month old buff
A new 8 month old buff
New 2 month old barred rock
New 2 month old maran

I did just order two 4x4 foot pens that I was hoping to move around the yard while I’m outside, like tractors so that they could have grass and be separated if necessary. Free ranging isn't possible, since we have two dogs and lots of wild animals around. As of now, I’m ready to give all of the chickens away I’m so stressed out.
If those are the roost bars, to the left in the photo, they seem pretty low. They and the food and water are taking up floor space. 1st: you move the roosts up -- and turn them so the 4" side is up while you do it. 2nd: put in a shelf above chicken head height when they are standing on the floor, but lower than roost height -- maybe across an end wall? to hold your feeder and waterer. That will certainly improve your floor space issue. Look into "poop boards" as you are redesigning. I've even seen a "poop hammock"!

Your feeder and waterers are massive for the number of birds you've got, so if you went a bit smaller you would need less space for them. It is understood that the food & water are inside right now to be sure everyone gets feed & water, but when they are finally integrated, feed & water outside is easier for your housekeeping. As long as you get up early to let them out. If a morning sleep in is planned, you can always put in a small feeder and waterer the night before to hold them over for an extra hour or two.

I have integrated mixed ages before with success, but as you now know, slowly is the key. I'm willing to bet by the time you are done deciding what route you are going to take, they will have sorted themselves out. The pullets will become as big as the hens quickly and will be better able to hold their own.

Best wishes!

I think this coop should be fine for 4 hens. It's just the size difference for the hens. I would cage the young ones until of equal size. You will definately have less issues that way. I have young birds in my coop with my much older hens also, but they are partitioned off by a fence.. they can see each other but not touch. Works great until such time they are equal size. Dont give up just add a fenced off area for the young
Good luck!

I’ve done what I can with what I have for now. Inspired by photos I saw on another thread here, I used the crate and made a door out of cardboard to allow the little ones to go in but keep the big girls out. I thought it was brilliant until I saw one of the big girls in there a bit ago :lol: Looks like I have more work to do.
You are receiving sound advice and are heading towards successful chicken ownership. I’ve found that free range time helps with behavioral issues. Looks like you have some good space for them to run around. Keep the faith and good luck!

I am surprised to hear the coop is too small, as it has two roosting bars (each probably 5 feet long) and 6 laying boxes. If I’m not mistaken this size coop is marketed as being suitable for a much larger flock. The run I do agree is quite small.
If you only have that few chickens, you only need one roosting bar, 5 ft long and 2 nest boxes , take out these and make more room.

Back
Top Bottom