Badger or Groundhog? (or something else)

Quote:
Yep....that would be them. hahahahaha Last little critter you ever want to walk up on or corner. *cringe* I would sooner walk bloody into a wolverine family. I thought I read someone reply post that they thought it was a badger. hmmmmm

Last edited:
I wonder if there is some kind of medicated powder you could put in the den that might help the problem? Be nice to not have to worry about your own animals getting something like that....
hmm.png

my original post said something about a badger, but i was just sure that a GH couldnt be hairless like that.. (especially since i thought it was the same one as the second pic i posted, which i then realized it wasnt)..

havent seen it since Saturday though..

36954_groundhog.jpg
36954_goundhog.jpg

I have a baby that was found in a back yard when it was about 1 week old, barely alive and no parents to be found... It's now about 10 weeks old -- friendly as can be, and very active with a large appetite ( a bit on the small side from what i've read) -- I came upon this site while trying to find out why its fur seems to be slow growing in.
Great site as we also have 30 some odd chickens, geese, ducks and rabbits on a small farm in MA.

I was wondering if you couldn't take some tubes socks, rap them around a small wreath (straw or grapevine) and dowse them with ivomec pourable (?), ground the wreath firmly to the front of the whole so the ground has to go in and out through it. Worst case is it licks the ivomec on it's fur and rids itself of mange that way also.

Other idea would be to spike some sort of vegetable with ivermectin paste. It has a high level for overdose in most mammals.

I think most mange is species specific, but I suppose no use taking chances. If they are sharing a den and one has mange, odds are the other one will soon be showing signs as well. I don't know about groundhogs but have seen a regretable amount of mange in foxes. It is generally patchy and the tail bare to semi bare. They tend to have an crusty build up around the face and eyes as it advances. If they don't die from exposure first, they will usually go blind from the infection around the face. Anyone who is against hunting and trapping should have some first hand experience witnessing the effects of distemper, parvo, rabies and mange.

Thanks Brindle
big_smile.png
, You made my day!!! Most of my ideas are shot down on this site, make me want to
hide.gif
, and many times the rebuttal is not put in a very nice way.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom