Bag of feed near sick chickens...

TxChris

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2023
I had posted before about (unknowingly) buying sick chickens-

Well, I threw everything away, EVERYTHING- except a bag of feed. It was a brand new bag of Kalmbach I had opened for them. I poured some into a feeder, and the bag was off to the side but I'm a moron and left it open.
They were in the garage nearly 4 days. Maybe near the feed, maybe not? It's a 3 car garage and once they digressed to really bad (very quickly), they didn't move much at all. But I'm worried anything airborne, dandruff, etc may have contaminated the food.

I don't know what they had- I can't be sure. Possibly Infectious Bronchitis, or even Mareks? Who knows.

I can bake the feed, I can ferment it, or I can toss it.
I make my flocks feed and ferment it, but I keep a feeder full at all times, too. I guess mostly for rodents. But I digress.

So, would yall chunk it?

It's most likely not the feed. You need to have a necropsy done if you want to know what is killing your chickens. Some vets will do them, or you can go through your State Ag department. And keep your feed in a metal trash can or feed bin. What were their symptoms?

Have there been cars in the garage. Are there oil spills. Has there been cans of gasoline? I have had chicks in the garage, but my garage has never had a car in it. I call it the basement.

I had posted before about (unknowingly) buying sick chickens-

Well, I threw everything away, EVERYTHING- except a bag of feed. It was a brand new bag of Kalmbach I had opened for them. I poured some into a feeder, and the bag was off to the side but I'm a moron and left it open.
They were in the garage nearly 4 days. Maybe near the feed, maybe not? It's a 3 car garage and once they digressed to really bad (very quickly), they didn't move much at all. But I'm worried anything airborne, dandruff, etc may have contaminated the food.

I don't know what they had- I can't be sure. Possibly Infectious Bronchitis, or even Mareks? Who knows.

I can bake the feed, I can ferment it, or I can toss it.
I make my flocks feed and ferment it, but I keep a feeder full at all times, too. I guess mostly for rodents. But I digress.

So, would yall chunk it?
Just toss it.

If you threw everything else away, get rid of the feed too - then you won't have to worry about whether it's contaminated or not.

What happened to the hens, did you return them to the breeder, cull? Did you get a necropsy?
I read your other thread; a necropsy would have been a very good idea so you would know for sure what you were dealing with. Knowing often can ease the mind, even if the news is not that positive.

It's most likely not the feed. You need to have a necropsy done if you want to know what is killing your chickens. Some vets will do them, or you can go through your State Ag department. And keep your feed in a metal trash can or feed bin. What were their symptoms?
I bought the chickens from a chicken farm, they were already sick. I knew as soon as I got down the road with them :(

It wasn't from my feed.
My flock is great.

I had to unexpectedly keep them in my garage, rather than the separate run/coop I built for them, so I pulled a bag out there.

The farm took them back (no refund, of course), but it fell over Christmas, so I had them longer than I wanted.

Rales, sneezing, mucous, emerald green diarrhea. No appetite, little movement, etc. They were going downhill very fast.

Just toss it.

If you threw everything else away, get rid of the feed too - then you won't have to worry about whether it's contaminated or not.

What happened to the hens, did you return them to the breeder, cull? Did you get a necropsy?
I read your other thread; a necropsy would have been a very good idea so you would know for sure what you were dealing with. Knowing often can ease the mind, even if the news is not that positive.
I agree, no sense in holding onto it. I feel bad chunking food like that, but I wouldn't want to put it out for wild animals, either- just in case.

The farm let me bring them back. She said she would "treat them", which was her way to justify keeping my money. I'm sure she culled them.

I wish I knew what it was for my mental sake!

Agree with WR; throw that feed out! And having a necropsy done would have been best, rather than not knowing what was wrong.
Mary
Yes, I'll just throw it out. I can't risk getting wild animals sick, either.

I took them back, they didn't die in my care.
In hindsight, I should have culled and sent one off. I'm sure she put them back with her other chickens or culled and trashed them anyhow. I mean, they were already paid for- no loss to her. She didn't seem to have the same heart I do for animals.

Back
Top Bottom