Baikal Teal

yep,
That's good advise Shawn. These are one of the lower numbered species out there, and many find hard to get to reproduce well. so there arent major numbers out there to start with. But are in pretty high demand. Most breeders only have 10 or less breeders to start with, so they arent going to have mass numbers like say wood ducks and mandarins. So check often, start talking to breeders in the late spring to get on their list, most well known ones dont even have to advertise before they are sold out of baikals. Watch the sites, subscrbe to either or both of the magazines, and you'll find some. They arent impossible to find by no means, they just dont last long so you have to jump on them when you see them.

Happy New Year Aubrey. Hope all is well with you and yours.
big_smile.png
Both times I ordered mine soon as they came up the people said "Lots of people called about those after you bought them" and they were always quick to say "You're SURE you want them now?" Absolutely!
lol.png

Last edited:
Baikal teal will breed in a community enclosure. They'll also breed in a very sparsely planted aviary if they are well settled. Some bloodlines do seem better than others though. Finding them for sale isn't terribly hard if you're looking in the right places (not BYC).
71544_dsc_0111.jpg

Baikal nest in a wide open lawn in a open fronted box.
71544_baikal_teal_on_nest.jpg

Baikal nest in a typical ground box.
Those are great pictures. Thanks for posting them. I have 5 Baikals and have not had any nesting yet. I am hoping this year it will happen. This is one of my favorite ducks.
I know this is an old thread but I hope others will post more pics and info about the species.

Back
Top Bottom