CraxyTXchick

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2018
I have a young speckled Sussex chick I could really use some advice on. I've tried lots of suggestions I have read on other threads, but nothing seems to be working.

So we got this chick at the first of the year, and the first week she was running around just fine. Then we noticed a slight limp, and then she just started sitting in the coop almost all the time, so we brought her inside and put her in a cage. She eats and drinks well from what I can tell. She seems a little thin to me, but I'm not much of an expert on chickens yet lol. Age would just be a guess, but I'm thinking she's maybe 2-3 months old? She wobbles a lot and uses the cage and her wings/beak to try to bbalance. We've had her inside now for about 4-5 weeks. I can't feel anything wrong with her legs, or see anything obvious. I've been mixing some chick crumbles with kefir every morning to give her probiotics and some vit d. She has ropapoultry in her water (has vitamins and herbs). The past several nights I've been giving her about a tsp of a liquid high potency multi B vitamin. A couple times I've given her some hard boiled egg yolk or leftover scrambled eggs. None of the other chickens show any issues.
Poop looks normal best I can tell. She'll have a runny one occasionally, and I saw one last night that just looked like water coming out.
She's a really pretty bird, and I'd like to try and save her, but the vet is not an option. It's just too expensive . I'm just running out of ideas and not sure what else I can do. She's very alert and seems to be fine other than walking around. I can't seem to get a video uploaded. Thanks for any suggestions!!

I looked up Ropapoultry, and I cannot see that it contains any vitamins or minerals. I would start some Poultry Cell 2 ml daily, or some human vitamin B complex in her food 1/4 tablet ground or crushed daily. It would be good to see a picture of how she typically stands, or a short video (posted to YouTube with a link posted here) of her walking.

Mareks disease comes to mind, but I would treat with B vitamins, especially riboflavin) and look to see if she has a twisted leg or foot, or it she may have an injury. Hopefully, it is something that can be treated.

Edited to say, I did finally find a Strombergs listing that does say Ropapoultry has vitamins, including riboflavin, so that is good.

Pictures of what? Her feet? I see nothing that would make me think she has bumblefoot (first thing I checked for). I attached a pic of her feet as they hang down. I don't know how to put my video on YouTube.

Attachments

• IMG_20190210_134319_1.jpg
    IMG_20190210_134319_1.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 8
Sorry just re-read your post and took a pic of her standing.

Attachments

• IMG_20190210_135827.jpg
    IMG_20190210_135827.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20190210_135756.jpg
    IMG_20190210_135756.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 7
Update: I've switched from the ropapoultry to the poultry cell. Haven't noticed much of any improvement or decline. She does have little feathers or whatever sticking out on her head though. No clue if it's related or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20190221_175736.jpg
    IMG_20190221_175736.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 3
Also noticed last night that she seems pretty emaciated. Like I couldn't feel any breast meat on her, just her breast bone. Is it Marek's? Does she have worms? I just don't know what else I can do for her.

Sorry that she is not doing any better. I had lost track of your thread, but glad you posted again. Is she still being kept inside by herself? Have you ever treated for coccidiosis or wormed her? I think Mareks or failure to thrive would be very possible, but Mareks would need to be diagnosed with a state vet neceopsy after death, if you are not able to see a vet. Many states will perform a necropsy for a relatively low price on a backyard chicken, so mention that. Here is a link for all of the state vets:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom