Bald Hens from Horny Rooster

Lydia77

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 9, 2013
On a mountain in West Virginia
I have 2 flocks. One flock has an older rooster and he is ruff but not toooo ruff on his 8 hens. The other rooster is very young and has 3 ladies, two of which are bald because of him grabbing them. I keep putting neosporin on. The baldness, however, is moving even further down by their eyes. I have no place to put this young rooster right now because of the older rooster (my coop is separated by a hanging sheet to separate the two flocks. I have no means of constructing another coop or addition to the coop. What can I do? Is the only solution to remove that young rooster?

I would place the rooster in a large dog crate and keep applying neosporim on the hens. If they start peaking each other you may have to separate them. If you can't is there anyway they you could get a red bulbs in the coop. I am not sure this will work with grown birds, but that's why they use them for chicks. To jeep them from peaking each other.

Yes you need to separate the rooster if you want him to stop breeding the hens. Are they just bald or do they have open wounds? If they are just bald the neosporin really isn't doing much you just have to wait for the feathers to grow back in. I wouldn't add red light if you aren't currently using light, if you do use light red light is supposedly better than white light to prevent picking.

Thank you for your inputs .... yes, sounds like I need to separate the horny rooster. I have been using red bulbs in the coop since we had such cold weather , however, I didn't realize they help keep the hens from pecking each other so I suppose I should keep using them. Thanks again for your help!

I have the same problem here
barnie.gif
. Darn horny roosters!

Any one want 3 phoenix roosters? Lol! All are well handled and friendly!

Back
Top Bottom