Bald spot

Hi! :)
How old is the rooster? If he is around 7 months to a year old that tends to be when they go overboard on mating. In most cases it will go away when his hormones calm down, some are just always aggressive when it comes to mating. I always separate my young roosters to protect the hens during this time.

Bullying could be a problem too, if the rooster makes a bald spot and other hens see it, they're likely to peck any growing feathers off of each other. You could try pick-no-more lotion or blu-kote on the bald spots to discourage any picking.

Some people buy "saddles" for the hens, but I would have no idea where to get any or if it's even safe. You'll have to ask someone who has used them before.
Good luck with your chickens ❤❤

ETA: Roosters can get hormonal as early as 5 to 6 months old too. It depends on the individual

Hi! :)
How old is the rooster? If he is around 7 months to a year old that tends to be when they go overboard on mating. In most cases it will go away when his hormones calm down, some are just always aggressive when it comes to mating. I always separate my young roosters to protect the hens during this time.

Bullying could be a problem too, if the rooster makes a bald spot and other hens see it, they're likely to peck any growing feathers off of each other. You could try pick-no-more lotion or blu-kote on the bald spots to discourage any picking.

Some people buy "saddles" for the hens, but I would have no idea where to get any or if it's even safe. You'll have to ask someone who has used them before.
Good luck with your chickens ❤❤

ETA: Roosters can get hormonal as early as 5 to 6 months old too. It depends on the individual
Hi! Thanks for the info. My rooster is 8 months old. I do have blu-kote so I'll try that. I was worried they might go after the bald spot.

Back
Top Bottom