Banding swans

swheat

The Bantam Barn
14 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
My swan were not banded when they were young so I purchased some aluminium bands that you seal with pliers. I got the size 13 to 16. My swans are 4 to 7 months old. Will their legs still grow bigger, I guess what I am asking is how much space between the leg and bands ?
Should they be fairly loose ?

Thanks

Most poultry/waterfowl are near 90% of maturity size at those ages. Be sure the band is loose but not so loose that it slips off or becomes caught on something and injuries their leg.

Thank you Seramas
smile.png

Here is a nutritional trick I used to improve my Swans health. Buy liquid kelp from the health food store and put a double dose (according to directions) on a piece of corn bread and feed it to them each day during the winter months. About February increase their protein intake to 28% during the breeding season. Increases the size of the eggs and improves hatchability and viability of cygnets.

Thank you for the tip. I will print this out and keep it. I need all the help I can get, and I have searched for information on Swan, but I could not find very much. I did order the Swan book by Stromberg.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom