Bantam Breed help!

nflchickengirl

Songster
7 Years
Jun 13, 2016
While we picked up our chicken order at a local store, my husband decided he wanted to add a bantam to the mix. However they are "assorted bantams, straight run"... we have zero idea what she could be!

Pretty sure she is a she. 2 weeks old today!

Meet Bonnie the Bantam!

Any guesses what she is so I can learn more about her breed?

What makes you say that?

We had a rooster last year and by 2 weeks old he was already showing signs of being a definite boy (comb was red, wattles were fire engine red).. by a month old there were no doubts. He was a New Hampshire though. We lost him to him being Billy Badass with a raccoon through a fence 3 weeks ago. I realize im dealing with different breed and different size with the Bantam so if you can explain why you think Bonnie is a Clyde, I'd appreciate it! Although Im hoping not because it has been really nice not to have crowing anymore
gig.gif
my neighbors loved it, but a loud crowing rooster with two young children wasn't too fun when you had one day off a week lol. But it wouldn't be horrible if she was a he, considering my husband loved Red. I loved him too until he got to be about 8 months old and started attacking everyone and everything
gig.gif

I'm saying Bonnie is really a Clyde.

Last edited:
The eye marking is usually much darker on the females and faint like that on males. I have an Red Pyle Old English Game Bantam cockerel and I was not planning to keep him but he adopted me and is the sweetest little bird. The OEGBs are my favorite breed, by far. They are friendly but great free rangers, as far as being aware of predators and good flyers so they can get up in a tree if there is a fox, dog, or raccoon. As far as crowing they are not as loud and a bit more high pitched than the large fowl roosters.

The eye marking is usually much darker on the females and faint like that on males. I have an Red Pyle Old English Game Bantam cockerel and I was not planning to keep him but he adopted me and is the sweetest little bird. The OEGBs are my favorite breed, by far. They are friendly but great free rangers, as far as being aware of predators and good flyers so they can get up in a tree if there is a fox, dog, or raccoon. As far as crowing they are not as loud and a bit more high pitched than the large fowl roosters.

We do free range our one year olds so that will work out great once they get older. :) You probably just made my husband's day! I'm hoping if this one is a rooster it stays sweet. Red was so aggressive towards the end that it made life pretty difficult. The only thing he didn't attack was our 9 year old dog
gig.gif
and by attack, I mean not giving up til he finishes you attack so it wasn't too shocking that he went after the raccoon through the coop. I was slightly relieved when he passed. I was sad too but it sure made life a little easier, as horrible as that sounds.

I'll have to update with more pics once "Bonnie" gets older lol. Hopefully we get your rooster luck .

slightly off topic but I saw you have BR's too? I have one. 2 weeks old, are there any indicators to look for this age to tell a difference with them? What is your experience with Barred Rocks? I wanted one so bad last year but we missed out locally on them!

My barred rock is nothing special, I would say, personality wise. She's one of my older hens (a year and a half) and so she is higher up in the pecking order but she is not bossy or mean, but also not a pushover. She's best friends with my Rhode Island Red that I got at the same time as her; they are always at each other's sides except when laying. She is a really good layer, even through the winter, and lays nice big eggs. The head spot and leg wash is supposed to be a clue as to sex but I cannot remember the specifics (I got her at about 8 weeks old so already sexed).

If you look at this thread there is some good information on there about sexing barred rock chicks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/798635/sight-sexing-barred-plymouth-rock-chicks-at-hatch

The nice thing about an OEGB cockerel/rooster is they do not have the weight to put as much force behind an attack as a big guy. :lol: I have another one that is 8 or 9 weeks old that is similar in personality to my red pyle that I have been calling Oreo. I had locked him and his siblings up in a cage because I was sending a bunch of my cockerels off to a farm and at the last minute I changed my mind on him and pulled him out. He was so mad at me and it was adorable. Instead of running away he stood there looking at me giving me a cross look and then grabbed my pant leg and pulled on it as if to say "What the heck, lady?" I picked him up and started scratching his back, which they love, and he nestled down in my hand. That was the first time I'd ever really handled him except for moving him from one place to another. One thing I have found about the OEGBs is that a lot of them are friendly and don't mind being handled even if you rarely handle them. The same goes for the bantam Cochins (I don't know if the large fowl Cochins are the same as I've never had one). I am quickly falling in love with him but I also have to keep my girls in mind and not overburden them with two many roosters.

3 week update:

thinking roo now?
I think I see wattles and the comb is definitely getting redder.
roll.png
Figures. lol Just when we didn't want a roo!

but not sure on the duckwing OEGB. the neck feathers are coming in black and white on the neck, mostly white with black. Same for the stomach.

Back
Top Bottom