Bantam Chick - Stumped

Doucechicks6

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2024
I got a bantam chick from TS, and I think it is a Mille Fleur d’Uccle. What I am not sure is if it’s a male or female. The chick is ~4 weeks old. I was going with female, but it made a slight crow sounding noise and its comb looks like it might be turning slightly reddish, so now I am unsure. Any thoughts or too early to tell? I’ve attached two recent pics and one from when we got her.

Attachments

• IMG_3108.jpeg
    IMG_3108.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3118.jpeg
    IMG_3118.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2751.jpeg
    IMG_2751.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 24
Very likely a cockerel.
That’s what I have been thinking. Hoping I am wrong though, as I love the look of “her” but can’t have a rooster where I live! Here are a couple more photos from today with good lighting. Maybe it’s not looking red? Definitely is a larger comb though…

Attachments

• IMG_3146.jpeg
    IMG_3146.jpeg
    517.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3147.jpeg
    IMG_3147.jpeg
    505.3 KB · Views: 25
Give it a few more weeks and you will know for sure. If you aren't seeing red, it could still very well be a little pullet. One line of d'Uccle that I used to breed had pullets with very large combs early on. I could have sworn they were cockerels!

I'm assuming that she was very young when you got her at about a few days old, and I noticed in the last pic that she had some wing growth at an early age. Females tend to grow in feather most quickly than males, so I think it's looking like a female.
It's looking like it has good chances of being either gender.

Back
Top Bottom