Bantam cochin sexing

juliemarie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
I believe I have one roo but I am hoping the other is not. The black one is 8-9 weeks old and has a different body type and the comb is considerably smaller and lighter in color. The calico is 7 weeks old and pretty sure its a roo. I'm hoping there is still hope for the black one!

Calico roo

Hoping this is a pullet????

Anyone else care to guess? I looked at a picture from about two weeks ago and there has not been much change. Is it normal to have some comb development and beginnings of waddles at this age for a pullet? the Roos comb and waddles grow everyday it seems! There is also a significant body shape differences.

I agree the calico is a rooster, but I'm undecided on the black bird. It has a lot less comb than my black cochin cockerels the same age, but a pullet this age usually has literally no comb to speak of. I'm leaning toward slow maturing male but would love to see pics again in a month or so.

I think the difference in body you're seeing is just the quality of the bird to the breed standard. The black bird has a much more desired body shape for a cochin. The calico bird has too upright of a tail, and I'm not sure if he has vulture hocks or not. I'd honestly think he's mixed.

I believe I have one roo but I am hoping the other is not. The black one is 8-9 weeks old and has a different body type and the comb is considerably smaller and lighter in color. The calico is 7 weeks old and pretty sure its a roo. I'm hoping there is still hope for the black one!

Calico roo

Hoping this is a pullet????

How did your black one turn out?

I'm still hoping for a pullet. No hackle or saddle feathers and the comb hasn't changed much in the last few months. However, they have been red for a while. He/ she is 33 weeks now. Any chance I could have a girl?

[/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom